Food to Love
Transform your kitchen into the French Quarter with this mouth-watering, veggie-friendly gumbo.
1. Place peas in medium bowl, cover with water; let stand overnight, drain.
2. Rinse peas under cold water; drain. Place peas in medium saucepan of boiling water; return to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
3. Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stir until onion softens. Add dried herbs and spices; cook and stir until fragrant.
4. Add drained peas, okra, kumara, undrained tomatoes and the water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Cook rice in an uncovered medium saucepan of boiling water until tender; drain.
6. Stir corn into gumbo; cook uncovered until corn is hot. Serve gumbo with rice.
This post was written by Food to Love editors. For more, check out our sister site Food to Love.
8 Comfort Food Ingredient Swaps to Slash Fat, Not Flavor
Adjust the Measurements for Any Recipe with This Genius Calculator
Stop What You're Doing NOW and Make This ULTIMATE Comfort Food Mash-Up