When you want to make your hair grow faster, you'll pretty much try anything, right? Maybe you're worried about hair loss, or maybe you'd just like a thicker, fuller head of hair. Whatever the reason, you're not alone! You want your hair to grow, and we totally get it.
Whether it's after a bad haircut or before an important event where you want to show off longer tresses, try these strange-but-supposedly-true tricks to grow hair faster. Then, don't forget to help out your fellow ladies: Report back on your progress!
1. Hang upside down. The inversion method, or hanging upside down is meant to increase the blood flow to your head. This causes your hair follicles to reach maximum capacity and stimulate growth. The method is popular, but whether turning upside down for a few minutes, every day for just one week of the month actually works is debatable.
2. Wear a shower cap. This simply involves wrapping your head in cling film or wearing a shower cap and leaving it on as long as possible, preferably overnight. The idea is that the build-up of heat will increase your scalp’s sebum production and encourage hair growth. Some women also apply a healthy amount of oil to their scalp before doing so, as a form of deep conditioning – so if your hair doesn’t grow at least it’ll be super-soft and shiny.
3. Drizzle on some fish oil. Full of good fats and omega-3, fish oil is said to fortify your hair and flood your scalp with nutrients. The downside is you’ll be a little smelly and may want to avoid people until you’ve washed it out.
4. Rub your fingernails. Apparently, rubbing your fingernails together for 5-20 minutes a day or even more can encourage hair to grow out of your head faster. There’s no scientific backing for this, but apparently the nerve endings in your nails are connected with your scalp, and will cause a tingling sensation when stimulated.
5. Pour on some cayenne pepper. Mixing this spicy powder into oil and applying it to your scalp is growing in popularity. The tingling or stinging sensation is thought to draw fresh blood to the hair follicles and stimulate a healthy growth rate.
6. Apply an egg white mask. [Egg whites]( are known to help your hair regain its gloss, and by making it stronger, it should grow back faster.
7. Drink lots of water. Water is great for making you look and feel healthier. If you’re managing to drink your eight glasses a day then that will help your hair stay strong -- and get added growing power.
RELATED: Stop Hair Loss With 6 At-Home Cures
8. Avoid blow drying and straightening. Give your hair a day off when you can. Applying heat directly to your hair weakens it – stop and you’ll help it grow stronger.
9. Swap cotton pillowcases for silk. Ditch your cotton pillowcases and replace them with some luxurious silk ones instead. Cotton causes friction, which weakens the hair and causes it to fall out. Swap to silk and you won’t find stray bits of hair on your pillow in the morning.
10. Scalp massage. Treat yourself to a lovely scalp massage – you can simply do this yourself when you wash your hair. All you need to do is massage your scalp for up to a minute. This stimulates the follicle that helps hair to grow.