Service dogs keep their owners out of harm's way every day, but one pup named Yolanda truly went above and beyond: When the Philadelphia home she shares with Maria Colon went up in flames, she took action that ultimately saved Colon's life.
Colon, who lost her vision 23 years ago, had just been sleeping when she smelled something unusual. "I said, 'Oh my God, It's smoke. And I can't breathe,'" Colon told NBC10. So as she had practiced with her pooch, she shouted, "Danger!" This prompted Yolanda to head toward a special phone for service dogs in the home.
"I hear the phone—tke, tke, tke. And she's growling. And I said, 'Oh my lord, she called the police.'"
Firefighters arrived and put out the fire. Colon and Yolanda are fine now, but they were both treated for smoke inhalation, at separate facilities of course. Yolanda also suffered a scratched eye.
Perhaps more incredible is that this is reportedly not the first nor the second time Yolanda has saved Colon's life. Yolanda successfully alerted authorities when Colon became unconscious after falling in the home. She even supposedly managed to scare away would-be burglars on another occasion and call for help. It was a good thing, she did: The intruders allegedly had turned on the gas from the stove.
We hope Yolanda's eye heals soon, and she enjoyed the treats she received as a reward for her heroics!
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!