A dress is the only type of clothing that creates an entire outfit. Once you have a dress on, all you need are your shoes, a few accessories, and you’re out the door!
Summer dress trends include the return of the shirtdress and wrap styles, while the midi-length is here to stay! When the weather gets warm, tropical and floral prints can be found on almost everything, but this year fashion designers mined previous decades and brought back and refined tie dye, paisley prints, denim, border print and lace!
How to Find the Best Dress for Your Body Type
Despite what you may think, it’s easy to find a dress for every body type and every occasion from lazy weekends to summer weddings. While each body type has certain needs, there are some universal fashion truths that work for everyone. Before we get shopping, here are a 10 styling notes for all body types.
- V-necklines elongate the neck and create the perfect frame for your face. It’s flattering for all body types.
- Empire waists and border prints trick the eye and make you appear taller. If you’re a standard, petite or curvy body type, look for that style to visually gain inches.
- Switching accessories — bag, shoes, jewelry, a scarf — can turn a casual style into a dressier one in a flash.
- Nude heels make everyone’s legs seem longer.
- If you’re short-waisted, try wearing petite size dresses. The hems are two inches shorter than regular dresses, and the waist is placed higher, so they’ll work perfectly with a short-waisted frame.
- Shop for the body you have now, don’t buy things that will fit if you’re 10 pounds lighter or heavier. You should relish the moment when you open the closet door and pick out something to wear. You don’t want to stare at something thinking that some day you’ll wear it — your some day is now!
- Check the rear view! Do a 360 in front of a mirror. Whatever you’re wearing should look great from the front, side, and back.
- When trying on anything, sit down, bend from the waist, raise your arms and walk around. You want to make sure that what you’re wearing moves with you, not constricts you.
- If you’re not in love with it, if it doesn’t make you feel incredible, don’t buy it. Even if it’s on sale, if you don’t love it, walk away.
- Love your body, it’s the only one you have. When you love yourself, everything fits better!
Best Summer Dresses for Your Body Type
If you’re petite, curvy, tall or a standard body type, you’ll find career, weekend, and formal dresses in this guide. Each section gives style tips and how to shop for your body type in addition to some terrific selections.
Keep scrolling to shop Woman's World's picks for the best summer dresses for your body type.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.