Controversial opinion: Store-bought freshly pressed fruit or vegetable juice isn’t worth the money. Why? You’re paying $5 (or more!) to get a nutrient boost when you could make the same nutritious juices at home. In addition to saving you money, juicing at home allows you to mix fruit and/or veggie combos to your taste and optimize health benefits to your needs.
So electric juicers are a great investment — but to ensure your machine squeezes the most out of fruits and veggies, you need to sanitize it after each use; otherwise, any pulp, skin, and seeds lingering in the machine’s crevices can contaminate your juice and make you sick. Keep reading to learn how to thoroughly clean a juicer so you can enjoy a healthy sip without worry.
Why You Need To Clean Your Juicer After Each Use
Although cleaning your juicer may seem like a chore, it’ll prevent you from getting a foodborne illness. A study published in the journal Food Control examined the bacterial quality of freshly squeezed orange juice from catering establishments. Researchers collected over 190 batches of orange juice from various foodservice locations and analyzed their bacterial content on the same day — and 43 percent of samples contained extremely high levels of an illness-causing bacteria called enterobacteriaceae.
According to lead author Isabel Sospedra, PhD, not thoroughly washing the oranges and storing the juice in unprotected stainless steel jugs led to contamination. Dirty equipment was also a factor, as bacteria forming within the appliance clung onto the oranges during the juicing process. “It must also be borne in mind that juicers and juicing machines have a large surface area and lots of holes and cavities. This promotes microbial contamination, which is picked up by the juice as it is being prepared,” she explained in a press release.
Getting your nutrient fix from fresh juices shouldn’t come at the risk of vomiting or nausea — common symptoms of foodborne illness. But disinfecting your juicer after each use will prevent that homemade juice from becoming contaminated and unsafe to drink. Plus, caring for your juicer extends the amount of uses you can get out of it. Follow the step-by-step guide below to learn how to thoroughly clean a juicer.
How To Clean and Dry a Juicer
Ana Andres, co-founder of TidyChoice, shares her 11-step process for disinfecting and drying a juicer. Follow these steps and yours will be good as new for the next time you want a nutritious sip:
- Dirty electric juicer
- Cleaning brush provided in juicing model kit or a toothbrush
- Soft sponge
- Mild dish soap
- 2 microfiber cloths
- Make sure to unplug the juicer from the power source, then proceed to disassemble all removable parts. Each model is a bit different, so check the user manual for instructions.
- Empty the pulp collector.
- Rinse the components under running water.
- Using the provided cleaning brush or a toothbrush to thoroughly scrub all the parts. Pay special attention to the pulp filter or strainer.
- Fill the sink with warm water and soap and place the juicer components in it.
- Leave them to soak for up to 10 minutes.
- Remove the components from the water and use a soft sponge to scrub them again.
- Rinse the parts thoroughly, then use a microfiber cloth to dry it and set it aside to let it air dry completely.
- Use a dampened microfiber cloth to wipe the body and base of the juicer. Make sure to dry it with another microfiber cloth.
- Once all of the components are dry, reassemble the juicer according to the user manual.
Ready, Set, Juice!
With a now-disinfected juicer, transforming your favorite fruits and veggies into health-boosting drinks is a breeze. And electric juicers aren’t the only appliances that could use some spring clean magic. Read our stories on how to clean a blender so it’s spotless and how to quickly clean an oven for your other cooking needs!
This article originally appeared on our sister site, First for Women.
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.