As the royal family comes together to celebrate Prince Louis’ christening, spokespeople for Kensington Palace have announced his godparents. As the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did before with Prince George and Princess Charlotte, they have picked good friends and family over dignitaries this time as well.
In an official statement confirming Prince Louis’ godparents, the palace confirmed, “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have asked the following people to be godparents to Prince Louis, all of whom are friends or family of Their Royal Highnesses:
- Mr. Nicholas van Cutsem
- Mr. Guy Pelly
- Mr. Harry Aubrey-Fletcher
- The Lady Laura Meade
- Mrs. Robert Carter
- Miss Lucy Middleton.”
Despite fevered speculation that Meghan Markle may have made the list, it was professionally predicted that the Cambridges wouldn’t pick the newest royal, as she is already Prince Louis’ aunt.
“As with George and Charlotte, William and Kate chose close and trusted friends and aides, rather than immediate family members, and the odds suggest that will be the same with little Prince Louis,” said Jessica Bridge from British bookmakers Ladbrokes.
The palace also confirmed the full list of guests who will be attending the historical ceremony. “The following guests will today attend the christening of Prince Louis at The Chapel Royal, St. James’s Palace:
- The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
- The Duke and Duchess of Sussex
- Mr. and Mrs. Michael Middleton, Mr. and Mrs. James Matthews, and Mr. James Middleton
- The godparents of Prince Louis and their spouses.”
Sadly, Prince Philip and the queen will miss the event. It’s believed the decision was not made because of health reasons, but instead due to the queen’s hectic upcoming schedule. The 92-year-old will travel back from Norfolk on July 9 before stepping out at the centenary of the RAF on July 10, followed by a meeting with President Donald Trump in Windsor on July 13.
The queen was forced to cancel an appearance last week due to a “summer cold,” and since Prince Philip retired in May last year, he has undergone hip surgery and has been keeping a low profile. According to The Express, The Queen decided not to attend some time ago and has the Cambridges’ blessing.
The palace also announced more exciting details: “Prince Louis will wear the handmade replica of the Royal Christening Robe, made by Angela Kelly, Dressmaker to The Queen. The Lily Font and water from the River Jordan will be used during the baptism.”
“Following the service, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will give a private tea at Clarence House. Guests will be served slices of christening cake, which is a tier taken from The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding cake.”
A Breakdown of Prince Louis’ Godparents
1. Mr. Nicholas van Cutsem: Nicholas has been a good friend of Prince William and Prince Harry’s since they were kids. He is a successful businessman based in London and is married to Alice van Cutsem. Most recently, their daughter Florence van Cutsem was a flower girl at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding.
2. Mr. Guy Pelly: Nightclub owner Guy Pelly is William’s right-hand man and back in Wills’ single days, he and Guy would often be spotted partying together. Most recently, Guy was with William during his headline-making boys’ ski trip to Verbier, Switzerland last year when the royal father was filmed busting some dad moves in a local club. William and Guy are so close, he’s already the godfather to Prince George. The British entrepreneur also has a royal connection after his mother, Lady Carolyn Herbert, once dated Prince Andrew and was friends with Princess Diana.
3. Mr. Harry Aubrey-Fletcher: Harry is another one of Prince William’s childhood childhood chums, with the pair’s friendship dating all the way back to their days at Ludgrove School. Harry enjoys a successful career working in mergers and acquisitions at J P Morgan. Of course, being pals with royalty means Harry boasts his own regal lineage. Harry’s father is Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher, the 8th Baronet and Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.
4. The Lady Laura Meade: Lady Laura Meade is considered a dear friend of the Cambridges and she is married to one of William’s oldest confidants, James Meade. The couple live around the corner from William and Kate’s Norfolk residence, and James is one of Princess Charlotte’s godparents.
5. Mrs. Robert Carter, nee Hannah Gillingham: Hannah attended Marlborough College with Catherine and is one of her best friends.
6. Miss Lucy Middleton: Keeping it in the family, Miss Lucy Middleton is a cousin of the Duchess’ on her father Michael Middleton’s side.
Princess Charlotte has five godparents, with Sophie Carter, James Meade, Adam Middleton, Laura Fellowes, and Thomas van Straubenzee as her official custodians. Back in 2013, William and Catherine selected seven people to take on the role as godparents for their first-born son, Prince George. Among them were friends of the couple Oliver Baker and Emilia Jardine-Paterson as well as Earl Grosvenor, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Julia Samuel, and William van Cutsem. Zara Phillips, Prince William’s cousin, was the only member of the royal family to be selected as one of George’s godparents.
Despite raising their children behind palace gates, William and Catherine are determined to give their three young children a well-rounded and normal childhood. “I want George to grow up in a real, living environment, I don’t want him growing up behind palace walls. He has to be out there. The media makes it harder, but I will fight for them to have a normal life,” Prince William told GQ last year.
Encouraging their children to talk about their mental health is also paramount. “We hope to encourage George and Charlotte to speak about their feelings, and to give them the tools and sensitivity to be supportive peers to their friends as they get older. We know there is no shame in a young child struggling with their emotions or suffering from a mental illness,” Kate Middleton has said.
And with these incredible role models guiding Prince Louis throughout his life, we have no doubt his parents’ hopes and dreams for a bright future will come true.
This article was originally written by Bella Brennan. For more, check out our sister site, Now to Love.