African-Style Peanut, Okra, and Tomato Gumbo
Snuggle up with a book, a blanket, and this warm, African-inspired gumbo.
- 11 oz okra
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 28 oz chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 2 large brown onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (2 oz)
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter (3 oz)
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 2 cups water
1. Trim stems from okra. Heat 1 tsp peanut oil in large saucepan; cook chicken, stir until browned. Drain on a paper towel.
2. Heat remaining oil in pan; cook onion, garlic, and sambal oelek. Stir until onion is soft. Return chicken to pan and add the remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potato is tender.
This post was written by Food to Love editors. For more, check out our sister site Food to Love.
More from Woman’s World
8 Comfort Food Ingredient Swaps to Slash Fat, Not Flavor
Adjust the Measurements for Any Recipe with This Genius Calculator
Stop What You’re Doing NOW and Make This ULTIMATE Comfort Food Mash-Up