We all want comfort food on the weekends, especially in the colder months. But sometimes you’re in the mood for something a little outside the norm — and that’s when this quick-and-easy Chicken and Seafood Gumbo recipe comes in. Hearty, filling, and packed with island flavors, this spicy meal will impress your family and have everyone hoping for leftovers.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 18 oz chicken legs or thighs
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 green capsicum pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 3 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 18 oz mixed seafood (9 oz green prawns, 9 oz boneless fish, cubed) chopped parsley, lemon wedges and steamed rice
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan on high. Brown chicken and transfer to a plate.
2. Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Saute celery, onion, leek, capsicum, and garlic for five minutes, or until tender. Add flour and paprika. Cook, stirring for one minute.
3. Return chicken to pan with stock, tomatoes, and Tabasco sauce. Season to taste. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Add seafood and simmer for another five minutes. Add a handful of parsley and lemon juice to taste. Serve with rice.
This post was written by Food to Love editors. For more, check out our sister site Food to Love.