If you’re like us and are aching for a tropical vacation, we’ve got just the treat for you. Because we’re sure you love a good strawberry cake, we’re extra positive you’re going to fall head over heels for these Strawberry Colada Cupcakes. These Cadillac-pink treats take your strawberry cake fantasies to the next level by blending the flavor of dreamy, island coconut with the tart, fruity strawberry taste you know and love. And what’s more, these cupcakes are spiked with just the right amount of rum, adding that edge you need to kick off the summer right. Paired with our Strawberry Colada Cocktail, this duo will have you feeling like you’re sitting beachside, soaking up the sun. Create your dream getaway right from home by following the recipes below.
Strawberry Colada Cupcakes
- 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) strawberry cake mix
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups dark rum
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 18 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 1/4 cups coconut milk, eggs, 1/4 cup rum, and oil until combined, 30 seconds.
- On medium, beat 2 minutes. Stir in coconut extract.
- Divide among cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Immediately, using fork, poke 6 sets of holes into top of each cupcake. Brush tops with remaining 1 cup rum.
- Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- On low, gradually beat remaining coconut milk (from can used in cupcakes), then coconut extract into frosting until just blended.
- On medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to pastry bag fitted with 1/2″ plain tip. Pipe frosting over cupcakes; press on coconut to cover completely.
- Garnish with strawberries.
Makes 18 cupcakes.
- 2 cups trimmed frozen strawberries
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Trim and quarter enough strawberries to make 2 cups (about 3 cups untrimmed); freeze.
- In blender, mix 6 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 cup dark rum, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and 4 tsp. coconut extract.
- Add frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup ice cubes. Cover with lid. Holding lid, purée mixture until smooth.
- Divide between 2 glasses.
Makes 2 servings.