Who says you can’t have a baked treat for breakfast? Traditional sugary items such as donuts, muffins, and pancakes are delicious and worth the splurge every now and then. However, they won’t give you the sustained energy you need to get through those busy weekday mornings.
Fortunately, when we heard about Valerie Bertinelli’s almond butter cookies — and realized they made the perfect breakfast cookies — we knew we had to spread the word!
“This classic cookie recipe hits the spot with a few updated ingredients I can feel better about, like heart-healthy almond butter and coconut sugar, which has a lower glycemic index and more natural fiber than refined white sugar,” Bertinelli writes, via Today.
Bertinelli also shares that these sweet treats are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Better yet, they bake in 10 minutes!
How to Make Valerie Bertinelli’s Almond Butter Breakfast Cookies
To re-create Bertinelli’s almond butter cookies, here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt flakes for dusting (optional)
Here are the instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the almond butter, softened butter, and sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer until the ingredients come together. Add flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat until smooth.
- Using a 1-inch cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop dollops of the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press down each dough ball with a fork, just enough to slightly flatten. Sprinkle each ball with salt flakes, if desired.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet in the oven to help all the cookies bake evenly. Bake for an additional 4 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
To make this recipe more filling, crumble up a cookie or two over a bowl of vanilla Greek yogurt and fresh berries or sliced banana, if you desire. Enjoy that delicious, guilt-free breakfast!
Looking for other tasty breakfast ideas? Try these easy, three-ingredient peanut butter cookies.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, For for Women