A homeless man named Anival Angulo was walking the streets of Las Vegas one morning when he suddenly noticed that an apartment was on fire. When Angulo heard the sounds of children screaming from inside the building, he knew he had to do something.
So the 36-year-old sprung into action. He broke through the security door of the apartment to rescue a 10-month-old boy and a 3-year-old girl, who were both trapped inside.
"[I] went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence and I pulled on the screen door and I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out," Angulo said. “I knew I had to get them out."
The fire, which had started around 11:30 a.m., was caused by food burning on the stove. The grandfather had been watching the two young kids, but they got separated in the fire and he was unable to reach them by the time the flames had flared up.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue (LVFR) arrived less than 20 minutes later to put the flames out.
LVFR spokesman Tim Szymanski said, “The children were in the living room. Food was cooking on the stove. The grandfather was watching the children. He was in a back bedroom. The kids say the stove caught on fire, it got bigger, and they started yelling. The granddad couldn’t get to them because of the fire."
Fortunately, because of Angulo's quick thinking skills, he was able to pull both children to safety. The kids did need to be treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital, but it was not life-threatening to either of them. And according to first responders, it could've been a lot worse.
“It's obvious if this person hadn't been there, these children could’ve been burned or may have been killed in the fire,” said Szymanski.
Now, Angulo is hesitant to call himself a hero — but if he won't say it, we gladly will!