Food to Love
This gluten-free and dairy-free layer cake is the ideal end-of-summer dessert. A light and fluffy sponge cake is topped with coconut yogurt and fresh, juicy berries for a refreshing treat that your taste buds will love. To make our mixed berry and coconut layer cake, follow the recipe below.
- 6 free-range eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 3 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 2 cups coconut yogurt (dairy-free)
- 4 oz. fresh raspberries
- 4 oz. fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line two eight-inch round cake pans with baking paper.
- Using a mixer fitted with a flat beater, beat eggs, paste, and maple sugar until light and creamy. Add coconut oil and beat for another three minutes. Using a metal spoon, fold through ground almonds and baking powder. Spoon mixture evenly between pans.
- Bake cakes for 25 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Turn cakes immediately, top-side down, onto wire racks to cool.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; top with half the yogurt and half the berries. Top with second cake, remaining yogurt, and remaining berries.
This cake is best made and assembled on the day of serving. Coconut yogurt is available at most supermarkets and health food stores.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Food to Love.