The Kecskes family knew something was up when they heard the family cat meowing. Thankfully, the 7-year-old cat's wails woke the Cincinnati family of four, ultimately saving them from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mr. Boo is usually a quiet feline, but on Tuesday, May 15, he decided it was time to speak up.
"He [Mr. Boo] acted completely out of the ordinary because he knew something was wrong," Ariana Kecskes told WomansWorld.com. "He was meowing very loudly; my mom, dad, and I heard it and woke up. When my mom got me out of my room to see what was wrong with Boo, I saw him staggering towards the front door."
Before Ariana knew it, she and her sweet cat had fainted in the hallway of their home.
"I didn't come to until my brother and father carried me outside," Ariana said. "My brother also passed out when he was finally outside."
Mr. Boo wasn't the only kitty feeling brave that morning. Apparently, Gary — her brother's cat — rushed inside to save his furry friend by licking his face.
"Gary was outside the whole night (he's an indoor/outdoor cat), but when my mother opened the back door to let some air in, Gary ran in," Ariana said. "My brother, who went to get him, found him trying to revive the unconscious Mr. Boo by licking his face. My mother then grabbed Boo and brought him outside to the front porch. She thought he was dead, but thankfully he survived, along with Gary."
It wasn't long before the local fire department arrived at the Kecskes' house. The family was rushed to the hospital, only to find out that they would have been minutes away from dying had their sweet Mr. Boo not intervened.
I got to meet a very lucky family tonight.— Christian Hauser (@ChristianWKRC12) May 15, 2018
They might not be here if it weren't for their usually quiet cat being awfully loud this morning.
Mr. Boo is the hero of the day after the family's home filled with carbon monoxide. pic.twitter.com/m7NGqiMUi9
"It's like he waited his whole life to do this one heroic thing," Ariana said. "It's truly amazing when I think about it. My cat saved my entire family."
According to investigators, the trouble started with a gas boiler in the basement. The Green Township Fire Department advised the Kecskes to leave the boiler alone until it has been professionally serviced. The family is now determined to equip the house with carbon monoxide detectors to ensure nothing like this happens again.
To honor Mr. Boo's heroic bravery, PETA has planned to give him a framed certificate, a set of catnip toys, and a few vegan treats and to show others that animals play an important role in our lives.