Dating Is More Fun Later in Life, Survey Finds
A study has found that dating gets more fun as you get older — and has revealed the top 20 tips for dating in later life. The research, which was carried out by Saga, surveyed 1,000 people over 50 years old and 1,000 people under 50 years old to compare the dating scenes at both stages of life.
Unsurprisingly, older singletons are apparently more relaxed and comfortable in their own skin than teenagers, and those in their 20s and 30s feel immense pressure from their friends and people they see on social media.
Interestingly, the older daters found dating much more “awkward” in their younger years and weren’t sure what they were looking for — but they now know what sort of person they want to spend the rest of their life with.
The research found that a quarter of those over 50 consider themselves “more romantic” now, and 23 percent want to find “The One,” while a cheeky one in 10 are just looking to boost their sex lives.
Top 20 tips for dating later in life:
- Always be yourself.
- Have fun.
- Don’t lie about your age.
- Remember that nobody is perfect.
- Don’t hide your past — everyone has one.
- Be prepared to accept someone who may have some baggage.
- Don’t act too needy or desperate for a new partner.
- Don’t dive in too soon after a divorce or passing of a partner.
- Don’t play games.
- Don’t keep comparing a potential partner with an ex.
- Always use a recent picture when online dating.
- Don’t be afraid to say yes to a date — even if you don’t think it will turn into anything. You may still have a good time and meet a new friend.
- Don’t look for someone who is exactly like your previous partner.
- Don’t give things away too soon.
- Step out of your comfort zone a little and date people you may not have considered in the past.
- Be willing to embrace new things, such as online dating.
- Make sure you are putting yourself out there by going to places where you may meet someone, rather than just staying at home.
- Don’t be too modest.
- Skype or FaceTime before meeting for the first time.
- Ask a friend to look over a dating profile before you message them.
What do you think of these top tips? Do you have any to add? Are there any you disagree with?
This post was written by Emma Dodds.
More from Woman’s World
Wife Creates Dating Profile for Husband in Act of True Love
6 Questions to Ask Your Partner Before Retirement