This sibling rescue story is one for the books. But it had a simple, relatively common beginning. After Joze-Lynn Kern's baby brother Kayson was born, the toddler grew into her big sister role by watching her younger sibling's every move. You might say she was fascinated by this new life that was just brought into the world.
And that new life may not have made it, if it weren't for 3-year-old Joze-Lynn's eagle-eyed tendencies and quick thinking.
You see, Joze-Lynn went to check in on Kayson when she realized something horrifying--he wasn't breathing.
"He was dying," she said. "He couldn't breathe or anything."
So she rushed over to her parents and grandmother and told them. Her parents grabbed him, patted him on the back, and thankfully were able to get him to start breathing again.
Naturally, the family went to the hospital shortly after to get answers about Kayson's frightening episode. As it turned out, he was suffering from baby reflux. Reflux, a common problem for babies and adults alike, occurs when the valve connecting the esophagus to the stomach is weakened or stops working.
This issue can cause digested food and acid to pass back upwards toward the mouth. If it travels too far up, this food can easily suffocate a little baby.
The children's mother, Autumn Kern, said, "Kayson's reflux is so bad that he has to slow his breathing just to control it."
Now, after that scary incident, the family is taking extra precaution in watching Kayson closely after mealtimes.
Autumn also advises other parents to alert any other children they may have to keep an eye on siblings with such an issue.
"If you have more than one child, make sure they know what to look for," she said. "You never know, your child may just save a life."
And it sounds like little 3-year-old Joze-Lynn did just that. Bravo!