I recently adopted a puppy, so I’m spending more time outside than ever before in an effort to stay sane (and wear him out) while quarantined with an untrained pup. But being outdoors this time of year, you never really know what the weather will be — it might even change from the start to the end of your walk. This makes it almost impossible to dress appropriately.
My go-to outfit is leggings, a moisture-wicking workout top, and a lightweight jacket. My coat desperately needed an upgrade (I had actual holes in my pockets!), so I decided to do some internet research. I’m pleased to report I found the best summer jacket for varying weather conditions: the Solar Wind & Rain Anorak from Athleta.
Here’s why I love it (and you will, too):
- Lots of length. I’m short (5’3″) and pear-shaped, so I feel more comfortable wearing longer jackets that cover my booty and don’t ride up when I walk or run. This jacket has a high-low hem, so it gets gradually longer in the back. It comes in three lengths — long, regular, and petite — so you can choose yours to accommodate your height. I got a regular, which lands at my mid-calf in the back.
- Tie waist. This jacket runs large and long, so it can feel a bit tent-like unless you cinch the waist. Luckily, there are internal bungees at the waist and hood to provide as much definition as you’re comfortable showing off.
- Water-resistant fabric. The lightweight, machine-washable fabric is made of recycled polyester, meaning it won’t overheat your body in sunny conditions, but will provide protection from gusty winds and and bouts of rain. It’s also soft enough to tie easily around your waist if you do find the weather warming up mid-walk.
- Pockets. Zipper pockets mean the dog treats won’t fall out and ruin all the hard work you’ve put into training —or just keep your wallet and keys safe. (Can you tell my world revolves around dog training?)
- It’s on sale. (Not for long!) Sale or no sale, it’s worth every penny.
$79.99 (was $189.00), Athleta
One Athleta reviewer wrote, “The jacket runs a bit big, but is so, so flattering. I think the pictures here don’t do it justice. The sweeping flared back looks soooo good, the length is perfect, and the material is lightweight and dries really fast. The pockets are nice and large, too … The cream color is my favorite, very soft and flattering, but I actually liked this jacket so much I bought every color. The green appears slightly shiny, but it looks nice still. It is the perfect light weight jacket. Breathable but windproof, I find it great for hot days just worn open, and also nice when it’s a bit chilly since it blocks the breeze.”