Has all this summer weather got you too hot to sleep? There’s nothing worse than feeling overheated at night, and no matter how much you toss and turn, getting comfortable can feel impossible!
Luckily, with these ten tips from sleep expert Dr. Nerina, you’ll be able to keep cool and get a great night’s sleep in the heat:
- Keep a plant mister or old spray bottle containing cool water by your bed to spray on your face during the night.
- Keep your bedroom blinds and curtains closed during the day to stop your bedroom over-heating at night.
- Wash your feet with cold water before getting into bed, and/or run your wrists under cold water — this is where your blood vessels are closer to the surface of your skin, so you’ll cool down quicker.
- Place a cold, wet flannel in the fridge for an hour or so before getting into bed and lay it on your forehead to help you drift off to sleep.
- Sleep in cool wet socks or even a damp T-shirt.
- Use a fan and place it so that it is blowing the air over a tray of ice — this will cool the room down as the ice melts.
- Put some icy cold water in a hot water bottle and keep it with you in the night.
- Chill your pillow case in the freezer before getting into bed.
- Finally, and most importantly stay well hydrated during the day and don’t fret too much if you can’t sleep. Use the time to rest and think positive thoughts, then you will be extra productive the day after!
This article originally appeared on our sister site Yours.