Two Southern classics — macaroni-and-cheese and pimiento peppers — come together in this scrumptious dish made with 2 percent cheddar and rich-tasting fat-free half-and-half.
- 12 oz. ditali pasta or elbow macaroni
- 8 oz. 2 percent extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimientos, drained and patted dry
- 2 c. fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return to pot; reserve. Meanwhile, coat 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 2 Tbsp. pimiento; reserve.
In separate pot, whisk together half-and-half, flour, mustard, salt, and pepper; over medium heat, bring to boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 3 min. Stir in Worcestershire and remaining cheddar until smooth; stir in scallion and remaining pimiento. Heat broiler. Stir cheese sauce into pasta; transfer to baking dish. Top with reserved pimiento mixture. Broil until golden, 5 min. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
This recipe originally appeared in our print magazine.