Food & Photo
With a sauce inspired by California’s beloved drive-thrus, this West Coast wonder also features irresistible avocado, crisp bacon, and crunchy onion rings.
- 16 frozen onion rings, from 13.5-oz pkg.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 sesame-seed hamburger buns, split
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Heat grill to medium-high. Cook onion rings according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, 6–7 min. Drain on paper towels.
In bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, yellow mustard, and 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce; reserve.
In bowl, mix beef and pepper with remaining Worcestershire sauce; shape into 4 (1/2" thick) burgers. Grill burgers, flipping once, 3–4 min. per side for medium-rare. Grill buns, split sides down, until lightly toasted, 1–2 min. Spread 1 Tbsp. reserved mayonnaise mixture over bottom of each bun. Top each with lettuce, burger, remaining mayonnaise mixture, avocado, bacon, onion rings, and bun top.
This recipe originally appeared in our print magazine.