Food & Photo
We turned a coffeehouse favorite into scrumptious chocolate cupcakes topped with swirls of coffee buttercream and caramel.
- 1 pkg. devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c oil
- 6 tbsp instant coffee or 4 Tbs. espresso powder
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 c butter (1 lb.), at room temperature
- 4 c confectioner's sugar, from 2 (16 oz.) pkgs.
- 2 tbsp caramel topping, at room temperature
Heat oven to 325°F. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs, oil, and 2 Tbs. coffee (or 1 Tbs. espresso powder) 30 sec.; on medium, beat 2 min.
Divide among liners. Bake 16-18 min. or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 20 min. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
Dissolve remaining 4 Tbs. coffee or 3 Tbs. espresso powder in hot water.
On medium, beat butter until fluffy, 2 min. On low, gradually beat in sugar until smooth.
Add coffee mixture; on medium, beat until fluffy. If desired, transfer to pastry bag fitted with medium star tip; pipe or spread over cupcakes. Drizzle with caramel.