Food & Photo
Meaty mushrooms and chunky vegetables give our lightened-up stew plenty of stick-to-your-ribs appeal.
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 lb parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 6 carrots (12 oz.), quartered lengthwise, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium beef broth
In large bowl, combine flour, dried thyme, ground allspice, salt, and pepper. Add beef stew meat, parsnips, carrots, mushrooms, and onion; toss to coat evenly.
Transfer beef and vegetable mixture to six-quart slow cooker. Stir in diced tomatoes with their juices and beef broth. Cover slow cooker; cook stew on low nine hours or on high four-and-a-half to five hours until beef and vegetables are tender.
Per Serving: Calories: 250 Protein: 22 grams Fat: 4 grams (1 gram saturated) Cholesterol: 48 milligrams Carbohydrates: 33 grams Sodium: 629 milligrams Fiber: 6 grams Sugar: 11 grams