It’s one of the worst-kept secrets around — finding mature clothing that isn’t frumpy, shapeless, or “granny-like” can feel impossible. Luckily, the best clothing stores for women over 50 aren’t few and far between. Retailers are becoming more aware of the fact that women over 50 do care about style. Now, clothing that helps you look as young as you feel is only a click away.
Before we start shopping, let’s delve into some helpful tips to ensure your next shopping excursion is a success, whether you’re searching for the best sundresses for older women, the best fall dresses that are cute and comfortable, or the best swimsuits for women over 50.
As we get older, the shape of our body changes — just as it did in our teenage years. Learning to embrace these shifts is key to finding clothes that look and feel fabulous. But this doesn’t mean you must sacrifice fun or style! Rather, it’s a reminder to look for pieces that flatter the body you have now. For example, the best bras for older women are designed to be comfortable and supportive, as well as fashionable and sexy!
How to Dress With Style Over 50
The first step to dressing with style over 50 is to find your style. Ask around, and you’re bound to get varying answers, but there are six general style types you may fall into.
1. Preppy: Women with a preppy style gravitate towards clothing that’s classic, clean-cut, or nautical. Blazers, colored pants, and striped anything are staples you can’t bear to live without. Try shopping at L.L. Bean for staples!
2. Casual: Women with a casual style will gladly dress down rather than up. This doesn’t mean you’re wearing sweatpants everywhere you go! Comfort is key; sloppiness is not. If you have a casual style, your staple pieces might include a great pair of jeans, comfortable blouses, and the ever-essential fitted t-shirt. Shop for your favorites at Eddie Bauer!
3. Trendy: Women with a trendy style take looks that are trending (new and old) and make them their own. This means incorporating fun prints, new cuts, and cool accessories into your everyday wardrobe. Not Your Daughter’s Jeans (NYDJ) has pieces you’ll love!
4. Classic: Women with a classic style typically feel best in clothing that is elegant, tailored, and a bit more structured. For you, nothing beats a classic pair of slacks, a chic pencil skirt, or a slick sheath dress. You can’t go wrong at M.M. LaFleur!
5. Bohemian: Women with a bohemian style embrace the artist within, opting for clothing that is light, flowy, and covered in bold colors and exotic prints. Classic staples for this style include crocheted tops, flowing maxi skirts, and loose pastel-colored tops. Fall in love with Anthropologie’s offerings!
6. Minimalist: Women with a minimalist style find the beauty in simplicity by sticking to a limited color palette, simple silhouettes, and minimal accessories. Neutral blocks of color are your go-tos, and the only print in your closet is the striped button-down shirt you wear on occasion. Minimalist retailer Frank & Oak is right up your alley!
Now that you’ve solidified the style that suits you best, what are the best clothing stores for women over 50? They include brick-and-mortar legacy retail stores, like Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, as well as newer shops like Everlane and Uniqlo. Ready to fill your closet with some new flattering fashion staples? Keep scrolling to shop some of our favorite pieces available now at the best shops for women’s clothing over 50.
See more of our best product recommendations
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
The Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 50 — Plus Our Favorite Pieces
Why we shop M.M. LaFleur:
- Beautifully crafted work wear
- Luxurious loungewear
Offering everything from luxurious cashmere jogging sets to ready-for-work dresses, M.M. LaFleur is the go-to retailer for older women who know the value of high-quality clothing and aren’t interested in “fast fashion” that costs less but won’t last. You’ll love their buttery sweaters, tailored pants, and pretty patterned blouses — and if you’re looking for a dress that drapes beautifully and can be casual or formal depending how you accessorize, try this lovely one, available in silver, black, blue, or emerald.
Why we shop Everlane:
- Well-constructed pieces that go with anything
- Our go-to for minimalist basics
If you are a self-described minimalist, there’s a chance that you already have something in your closet from minimalist juggernaut Everlane. A go-to for many minimalists, this shop has a wide array of the style’s best staples for every season, including this short-sleeved, 100 percent silk blouse, shown here in navy and available in five other colors as well.
Why we shop Nordstrom:
- Wide selection of styles for all ages and styles
- One of the best clothing stores for women over 60
One of the most popular shops for women around, the choice to include Nordstrom on this list was an obvious one. With a wide range of clothing styles for every age, shape, and size, there’s only one way to describe clothing found here: timeless. For fall, we love this cozy cardigan, made of lightweight, super-soft knitwear and available in four classic colors.
Why we shop NYDJ:
Made with mature women in mind, Not Your Daughter’s Jeans was founded to fit any and every body around. Aside from finding the perfect pair of jeans, you’ll also be able to find blouses, sweaters, jackets, and more. This fall, we’re loving these wide-legged ankle jeans, which are also available in plus size!
Why we shop Anthropologie:
- Gorgeous, bohemian-inspired sweaters, dresses, and more
- Plus sizes available
A modern icon in the fashion world, Anthropologie has long been seen as one of the biggest names in boho fashion — and with good reason! Offering timeless, feminine fashions like this patterned oversized cardigan, it’s clear to see why devotees avoid straying too far from the shop.
Why we shop Frank & Oak:
- They offer a monthly subscription box to keep your wardrobe updated
- High quality basics
An up-and-coming minimalist brand (with their own subscription box), Frank & Oak is a great place to shop for all of your favorite minimalist basics that still manage to pack a punch — like this chunky cable-knit sweater!
Why we shop L.L. Bean:
- Affordable classics
- Outdoorsy style
When one thinks of casual clothing over 50, one tends to think of L.L. Bean. Known for its casual, outdoors-y clothing, this shop balances style, comfort, and substance with ease. Your wardrobe isn’t complete without one of their classic crewneck fair isle sweaters!
Why we shop Bloomingdale's:
- Trusted name in fashion that’s been around for decades
- Carries every type of clothing you could want
A department store icon, women today still covet their “little brown bags” as they did when the store first opened more than 100 years ago. And with a revolving door of fashion, Bloomingdale’s, or Bloomie’s, as it is affectionately known by its fans, is and always has been one of the classiest stores around. You can find anything you need there, from workout gear and activewear to formal dresses, but for fall, we’re loving their cashmere sweaters, like this one, which is available in 15 vivid hues.
Why we shop Eddie Bauer:
- Great for well-made wardrobe staples
- Frequent sales
An American staple, Eddie Bauer is the “everywoman’s” brand. With everything from stylish jackets to casual fixtures, Eddie Bauer is as reliable as its clothing. Shop for classic pieces like this long-sleeve crewneck tee, available in more than a dozen colors and regular, tall, petite, and plus sizing.
Why we shop Lands' End:
- High quality, affordable pieces
- Offers a discount when you sign up for their mailing list, as well as frequent sales
Offering a selection of clothing on the casual side of preppy, Lands’ End launched as a mail-order business for yachting gear in 1963. In the years since, Lands’ End has focused on quality, classic fashion — like this three-quarter sleeve shift dress, available in black, green, or red.
Why we shop Uniqlo:
- Affordable basics that are frequently on sale
- Great mix of trendy and classic pieces
Looking for a more affordable way to get in on the minimalist trend? You’re going to love Uniqlo. Filled with tons of chic minimalist clothing at beyond-friendly prices — like this classic wool skirt, perfect for fall and available in four colors — this store may just become your favorite after a few minutes browsing online.
Why we shop Venus:
- Features sexy clothes suitable for the 50+ set
- Plus sizes available for most pieces
Who says 50 isn’t sexy? If Halle Berry and Jennifer Lopez have taught us anything, 50 means you’re only just getting started. For stylish, trendy clothing with a sultry flair, Venus is the place to look. Even better, they have an extensive selection of plus size pieces, including this sleek sweater dress!
Why we shop Talbots:
- Fun, preppy takes on basics
- Offers a wide range of sizes, from petite to plus
Talbots has been around for more than 70 years. In that time, it has become a tried-and-true spot for the preppy among us, offering fun takes on the basics we all love, from cropped pants to blazers. The brand offers a great range of sizes, including misses, petite, plus, and plus-size petite. Pieces like this versatile herringbone blazer/sweater in heather gray are bound to become wardrobe staples!
Why we shop Chico's:
- One of the best clothing stores for women over 70
- Wide selection of trendy tops, bottoms, and accessories
Trendy clothing shops come and go, but only one burst on the scene, rose to the top, and stayed there: Chico’s. Chic clothing designed specifically with women over 50 in mind — what more could you want? In addition to all types of clothing (including blouses, sweaters, trousers, dresses, and skirts), they offer jewelry and other accessories, like this warm and stylish wrap.
Why we shop Soft Surroundings:
- Beautiful, flowing dresses
- Carries extended plus sizes
A leader in bohemian fashion for women over 50, Soft Surroundings is a catalog icon that we can’t get enough of. They showcase soft, flowing fabrics in gorgeous colors, like this floral dress that’s perfect for fall.
Why we shop Ann Taylor:
- Professional, well-tailored work clothing
- Frequent big sales
An icon in women’s fashion, you’d be hard-pressed to find a women today who doesn’t own at least one item from Ann Taylor. A go-to for sleek, professional, and elegant clothing, we don’t see Ann Taylor’s popularity dying down anytime soon. Need a blazer that goes equally well with a suit or jeans? Try this gorgeous blue one, available in regular, petite, and tall sizes!