It’s one of the worst-kept secrets around — finding mature clothing that isn’t frumpy, shapeless, or “granny-like” can feel impossible. Luckily, the best clothing stores for women over 50 aren’t few and far between. Retailers are becoming more aware of the fact that women over 50 do care about style. Now, clothing that helps you look as young as you feel is only a click away. But before we start shopping, let’s delve into some helpful tips to ensure your next shopping excursion is a success, whether you’re searching for sundresses or swimsuits.
With maturity comes body changes. Just as we learned to embrace the changes that occurred in our teenage years, embracing changes over 50, such as a fuller waistline or changing bra size, is essential to finding clothing you’ll adore. This doesn’t mean you must sacrifice fun or style. It’s just a reminder to look for pieces that flatter the beautiful body you have now.
How to Dress With Style Over 50
Finally, the fun part! The first step to dressing with style over 50 is to find your style. Ask around, and you’re bound to get varying answers, but there are six general style types you may fall into.
1. Preppy: Women with a preppy style gravitate towards clothing that’s classic, clean-cut, or nautical. Blazers, colored pants, and striped anything are staples you can’t bear to live without.
2. Casual: Women with a casual style will gladly dress down rather than up. This doesn’t mean you’re wearing sweatpants everywhere you go! Comfort is key; sloppiness is not. If you have a casual style, your staple pieces might include a great pair of jeans, comfortable blouses, and the ever-essential fitted t-shirt.
3. Trendy: Women with a trendy style take looks that are trending (new and old) and make them their own. This means incorporating fun prints, new cuts, and cool accessories into your everyday wardrobe.
4. Classy: Women with a classic style typically feel best in clothing that is elegant, tailored, and a bit more structured. For you, nothing beats a classic pair of slacks, a chic pencil skirt, or a slick sheath dress.
5. Bohemian: Women with a bohemian style embrace the artist within, opting for clothing that is light, flowy, and covered in bold colors and exotic prints. Classic staples for this style include crocheted tops, flowing maxi skirts, and loose pastel-colored tops.
6. Minimalist: Women with a minimalist style find the beauty in simplicity by sticking to a limited color palette, simple silhouettes, and minimal accessories. Neutral blocks of color are your go-tos, and the only print in your closet is the striped button-down shirt you wear on occasion.
The Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 50
Now that you’ve solidified the style that suits you best, what are the best clothing stores for women over 50? Well, they include brick-and-mortar legacy retail stores, like Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, and Bloomingdales, as well as newer shops, like Everlane, Uniqlo, and Elaine Turner. Ready to line your closet with some new flattering fashion staples? Keep scrolling for the best shops for womens clothing over 50, as well as select pieces to add to your closet today.
See more of our best product recommendations
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 50
Talbots has been around for more than 70 years. In that time, it has become a tried-and-true spot for the preppy among us, offering fun takes on the basics we all love, from cropped pants to blazers. The brand offers a great range of sizes, including misses sizes, petite sizes, plus sizes, and plus-size petite sizes.
Offering a selection of clothing one could call a more casual form of preppy, Lands’ End is a brand well-known for embracing the kitchy and nautical aspects of the preppy style we all adore. The company was founded by a sailor — not a fashion designer — and launched as a mail-order business for yachting gear in 1963. In the years since, Lands’ End has focused on quality, classic fashion.
Made with mature women in mind, Not Your Daughter’s Jeans was founded to fit any and every body around. Aside from finding the perfect pair of jeans, you’ll also be able to find some wonderful casual pieces that are bound to become favorites.
Trendy clothing shops come and go, but only one burst on the scene, rose to the top, and stayed there: Chico’s. Chic clothing made with women over 50 in mind — what more could you want?
An American staple, Eddie Bauer is the every woman’s brand. With everything from stylish jackets to casual fixtures, Eddie Bauer is as reliable as its clothing.
Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 60
A modern icon in the fashion world, Anthropologie has long been seen as one of the biggest names in boho fashion — and with good reason! With timeless fashions such as these, it’s clear to see why devotees avoid straying too far from the shop.
When one thinks of casual clothing over 50, one tends to think of L.L. Bean. Known for its casual, outdoors-y clothing, this shop balances style, comfort, and substance with ease.
Who says 50 isn’t sexy? If Halle Berry and Jennifer Lopez have taught us anything, 50 means you’re only just getting started. For stylish, trendy clothing with a sultry flair, Venus is the place to go.
An up-and-coming minimalist brand (with their own subscription box), Frank & Oak is a great place to shop for all of your favorite minimalist basics that still manage to pack a punch.
Looking for a more affordable way to get in on the minimalist trend? You’re going to love Uniqlo. Filled with tons of chic minimalist clothing at beyond-friendly prices, this store may just become your favorite after a couple minutes of browsing online.
Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 70
An icon in women’s fashion, you’d be hard-pressed to find a women today who doesn’t own at least one item from Ann Taylor. Many women’s go-to for sleek, professional, and elegant clothing, we don’t see Ann Taylor’s popularity dying down anytime soon.
One of the most popular shops for women around, Nordstrom’s inclusion on this list was an obvious one. With a wide range of clothing styles for every age, shape, and size, there’s only one way to describe clothing found here: timeless.
A department store icon, women today still covet their “little brown bags” as they did when the store first opened more than 100 years ago. And with a revolving door of fashion, Bloomingdale’s, or Bloomies, as it is affectionately known by its fans, is and always has been one of the classiest stores around.
A leader in bohemian fashion for women over 50, Soft Surroundings is a catalog icon that we can’t get enough of. They showcase soft, flowing fabrics in gorgeous colors.