Looking for the best mobility scooter that’ll help you get where you need to go? Whether it’s due to a disability or simply getting older, a lack of mobility shouldn’t stop you from doing the things you love. Mobility scooters offer you the freedom and independence to get from point A to point B without additional assistance. But with so many on the market today, where should you start?
How to Find the Right Mobility Scooter for You
There are a couple variables that need to be considered before you make a long-term investment in a mobility scooter for you or your loved one. After all, we are talking about a device that can drastically improve your quality of life, so you want to make sure you make the right decision. Here are four tips on how to find the right mobility scooter for you.
1. Be conscious of where you’ll be using it. Every mobility scooter is different and made for different uses. For instance, some top-of-the-line scooters are great for getting around outdoors in record time, but if you’re looking for a scooter that’ll primarily help you around the house, it may not be worth it to spend the money on a larger, more expensive model. Be sure to pick a model designed with your environment in mind.
2. Don’t forget to look at the dimensions. Size is another concern that should be adressed. It can be the difference between a mobility scooter solving problems and causing problems. Certain models, while adept for the outdoors, are too large to be used in the house. Between hallways and door frames, making sure you pick a model that truly fits (in every sense of the word) is important. You’ll also want to make sure you have adequate storage for your scooter, so before you hit the checkout button, pull out some measuring tape.
3. Take the overall weight limit into consideration. Generally, you’ll want to select a mobility scooter with at least 50 to 100 pounds of clearance above your own weight. Why is this? Well, when you factor in additional weight that can be added to the scooter, like shopping bags or oxygen tanks, having the extra weight allowance provides peace of mind and prevents accidentally overloading and tipping your scooter.
4. Check with your insurance or Medicare provider to see if they can cover costs. You might find yourself asking, “Does Medicare cover mobility scooters?” Certain insurance companies and Medicare Part B can provide financial assistance on scooters classified as “durable medical equipement.” To check if the scooter you’re interested in can be covered, your doctor will likely need to fill out a prescription describing your medical needs to verify eligibility with your insurance. Whether it’s partial assistance with a co-pay option or complete coverage, make sure you look into your eligibility as some of these scooters can get pricey.
The Best Mobility Scooters on the Market Today
Ready to shop? Whether you need the best mobility scooter for outdoors or the best folding mobility scooter, we have you covered. Like getting a power lift recliner, purchasing a mobility scooter can make a big difference in your day-to-day life. Reclaim your independence today by scrolling thorough the best mobility scooters on the market in 2018.
Best Mobility Scooter Amigo Foldable Lightweight
1. Best Amigo Foldable Lightweight Mobility Scooter
One of the most beloved mobility scooters on the market today is the Amigo foldable scooter. Designed to be taken with you wherever the day may lead, this scooter is one of the most convenient for traveling because it's so flexible. With the ability to fold down so it can compactly fit in the trunk or storage compartment of your car, this lightweight companion provides the freedom of travel. Made in the US and designed with front drive and smooth acceleration, this scooter has a weight limit of 250 pounds and seamlessly works both indoors and outdoors.
Where to buy: $1,995, Amazon
Best Affordable Mobility Scooter
2. Best Affordable Mobility Scooter
Looking for a high-quality mobility scooter that won't break the bank? Then you'll love the Spitfire Scout 4 from Drive Medical. Coming in at under $700, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better scooter in this price range. Designed with comfort and long-term use in mind, this scooter features an adjustable padded swivel seat, backrest, and armrests alongside a wrap-around "delta-shaped" steering handle for an easy grip, especially for those with limited dexterity. Complete with two interchangeable color panels (red and blue) and non-marking, anti-tip wheels for 24/7 safety and stability, this scooter also features a weight limit of 300 pounds, meaning you can rest assured this scooter will stay put wherever you go.
Where to buy: $699, Amazon
Best Mobility Scooter With Canopy
3. Best Mobility Scooter With Canopy
For the best mobility scooter with a canopy, head over to Walmart for the Ewheels Luxurious Electric Oversized Scooter. This three-wheel electric scooter is the top-of-the-line scooter of your dreams. Featuring a two-toned design, this scooter features a hard-top canopy and windshield for the best protection against the elements. With a weight limit of up to 500 pounds, this scooter can reach speeds of up to 15 miles per hour and offers ample seating space. Complete with a three-speed settings, an alarm system, and a cargo storage box to keep your valuables safe, this is the ultimate outdoor mobility scooter.
Where to buy: $3,295, Walmart
Best Electric Mobility Scooter
4. Best Electric Mobility Scooter
For the best electric mobility scooter, turn to the Buzzaround EX from the experts at Golden Technologies. Well known for their superior mobility scooters, Golden Technologies doesn't disappoint with this latest model. As older Buzzaround models, this scooter features a "delta-style" steering wheel for easy maneuvering, 330-pound weight limit, and a wireless U1 rechargeable battery. New to this model is an LED battery gauge, an ultra bright LED angle-adjustable headlight, and a longer design that offers more footroom for added comfort. With the ability to disassemble in seconds, this scooter is truly one of the best around. And with reviewers raving, "You will not regret this purchase!" and, "This was similar to getting a new Cadillac! I couldn't be any happier with my new ride," we're more than inclined to agree.
Where to buy: $1,725, Amazon
Best Mobility Scooter Three Wheeler
5. Best Three-Wheeler Mobility Scooter
If a three-wheeled mobility scooter is on your wishlist, make sure it's the Scout Compact Power Scooter from Drive Medical. Now you may be wondering, why would some buyers opt for a three-wheeled scooter as opposed to a four-wheeled scooter? Well, in most cases, due to the narrower design of a three-wheeler, these scooters fit better inside the home, making three-wheeled options best for those using scooters indoors and outdoors. So, what makes the Scout such a great three-wheeler? Aside from its affordability and superb 300-pound weight limit, the Scout is also lightweight, easy to disassemble for portability, and features a "delta-shaped" steering wheel for smooth steering. With so much comfort and ergonomic design, this is truly a great value.
Where to buy: $779, Amazon
Best Shoprider Mobility Scooter
6. Best ShopRider Mobility Scooter
If there's one mobility scooter brand you're probably know, it's ShopRider. A leader in mobility transportation, their scooters have been a beloved part of many people's lives for decades due to their craftsmanship and durability, and the ShopRider Sunrunner is no exception. Equipped with a deluxe sliding-and-swiveling seat for easy seating, easy-grip handle bars, a wicker basket, and a mirror, this scooter is one of the most stunning examples on the market today. Four-wheeled and featuring a 300-pound weight limit, this motor scooter is perfect for anyone looking for a scooter with style and substance at a great price.
Where to buy: $1,449.98, Amazon
Best Off Road Mobility Scooter
7. Best Off-Road Mobility Scooter
For those who live in more suburban and rural areas, finding a mobility scooter that can tackle the surrounding environment with ease is beyond important — it's vital. Rest easy knowing your ride is secure with the Go-Go Sport 4-Wheel Electric Travel Scooter from Pride Mobility. This heavy-duty four-wheeled scooter offers a frame-mounted seat for maximum stability, a feather-touch disassembly for easy transport, and a 325-pound weight limit, making this scooter one of the most stable outdoor scooters around. Amazon buyer Linda S gifted her father this scooter and raved about it, saying, "The scooter is perfect for getting around outdoors for my father. He is able to navigate over the yard to pick up broken branches, get the mail, and go around the neighborhood meeting neighbors. It has increased his interest in getting outside again and increased his independence."
Where to buy: $1,349, Amazon
Best Mobility Scooter With Two Seats Tandem
8. Best Mobility Scooter With Two Seats
For a tandem ride with someone you love, the EWheels EW-66 2-Passenger Heavy-Duty Scooter is the way to go. Reaching a top speed of 25 miles per hour, this scooter boasts a 600-pound weight limit and a high-quality steel frame for the sturdiest ride for you and a passenger. Complete with an alarm system, plenty of storage, and an electromagnetic braking system for safe, reliable operation, heading out on an excursion with your loved ones just became a lot easier. And with a design emulating images of Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday, you'll look pretty slick, too.
Where to buy: $3,249, Amazon
Best Mobility Scooter Knee Scooter
9. Best Mobility Knee Scooter
Whether it's due to inflammation from issues like arthritis or as a result of foot, leg, or ankle surgery, leg problems are one of the leading causes behind mobility issues. These issues can bring about the need for a different kind of mobility scooter — one like the reliable and comfortable KneeRover. A stable alternative to crutches, this knee scooter is lightweight, durable, and adjustable for all heights and ages. Featuring a padded knee cushion and offering a 300-pound weight limit, this easy-fold scooter also has a dual rear-braking system for easy-stop control as you move about and the freedom of mobility you desire.
Where to buy: $119.99, Amazon