It's one of the worst-kept secrets around — finding mature clothing that isn't frumpy, shapeless, or "granny-like" can feel impossible. Luckily, the best clothing stores for women over 50 aren't few and far between. Retailers are becoming more aware of the fact that women over 50 do care about style. Now, clothing that helps you look as young as you feel is only a click away. But before we start shopping, let's delve into some helpful tips to ensure your next shopping excursion is a success, whether you're searching for sundresses or swimsuits.
With maturity comes body changes. Just as we learned to embrace the changes that occurred in our teenage years, embracing changes over 50, such as a fuller waistline or changing bra size, is essential to finding clothing you'll adore. This doesn't mean you must sacrifice fun or style. It's just a reminder to look for pieces that flatter the beautiful body you have now.
How to Dress With Style Over 50
Finally, the fun part! The first step to dressing with style over 50 is to find your style. Ask around, and you're bound to get varying answers, but there are six general style types you may fall into.
1. Preppy: Women with a preppy style gravitate towards clothing that's classic, clean-cut, or nautical. Blazers, colored pants, and striped anything are staples you can't bear to live without.
2. Casual: Women with a casual style will gladly dress down rather than up. This doesn't mean you're wearing sweatpants everywhere you go! Comfort is key; sloppiness is not. If you have a casual style, your staple pieces might include a great pair of jeans, comfortable blouses, and the ever-essential fitted t-shirt.
3. Trendy: Women with a trendy style take looks that are trending (new and old) and make them their own. This means incorporating fun prints, new cuts, and cool accessories into your everyday wardrobe.
4. Classy: Women with a classic style typically feel best in clothing that is elegant, tailored, and a bit more structured. For you, nothing beats a classic pair of slacks, a chic pencil skirt, or a slick sheath dress.
5. Bohemian: Women with a bohemian style embrace the artist within, opting for clothing that is light, flowy, and covered in bold colors and exotic prints. Classic staples for this style include crocheted tops, flowing maxi skirts, and loose pastel-colored tops.
6. Minimalist: Women with a minimalist style find the beauty in simplicity by sticking to a limited color palette, simple silhouettes, and minimal accessories. Neutral blocks of color are your go-tos, and the only print in your closet is the striped button-down shirt you wear on occasion.
The Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 50
Now that you've solidified the style that suits you best, what are the best clothing stores for women over 50? Well, they include brick-and-mortar legacy retail stores, like Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, and Bloomingdales, as well as newer shops, like Everlane, Uniqlo, and Elaine Turner. Ready to line your closet with some new flattering fashion staples? Keep scrolling for the best shops for womens clothing over 50, as well as select pieces to add to your closet today.