If you’re planning to host friends or family for an Easter gathering or spring brunch, playful dessert recipes are a great way to channel the spirit of the season. You can’t go wrong with cheery cupcakes topped with confetti sprinkles. Even better? When they’re made from a cupcake recipe developed in Dolly Parton’s kitchen!
Dolly’s Butterfly Coconut Cupcakes use her Duncan Hines® Southern Style Coconut Cake Mix and Creamy Buttercream Frosting to make a treat that’s just as sweet, joyous, and colorful as the legend herself. The garnish on these cupcakes may look fancy, but they’re surprisingly easy to make — simply use candy melts or white chocolate chips. Form the melts into butterfly shapes and top with rainbow sprinkles, and you have delightful cupcakes that are Dolly-approved.
Butterfly Coconut Cupcakes
Ingredients (Serves 24):
- 1 (15.25-ounce) package Duncan Hines® Dolly Parton’s Southern Style Coconut Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup white candy melts or white chocolate chips
- Bright pink, purple, and teal decorating sugars
- ⅔ cup brightly colored confetti sprinkles
- 2 (16-ounce) containers Duncan Hines® Dolly Parton’s Creamy Buttercream Frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix with milk, eggs, and butter until blended, about 30 seconds; on medium, beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Divide batter among liners. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 16–19 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Transfer from pans to rack; let cool.
- On white paper, print or draw 24 small butterflies (about 1 ½ inches wide). Place paper on baking sheet; cover with wax paper. In microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate or candy melts in 15-second intervals, stirring, until melted. Transfer to freezer bag. Snip small hole from corner of bag. Trace and fill in wings. Sprinkle with decorating sugars. Chill 15 minutes.
- Spread confetti sprinkles on plate. Reserve ½ cup frosting. Spread remaining frosting over cupcakes; dip tops of cupcakes in sprinkles. Transfer reserved frosting to freezer bag; snip small hole from corner. Pipe dollop of frosting over each cupcake. If needed, break wings in two; insert into frosting.
This article originally appeared in our print magazine, Woman’s World.