No matter your baking status, many of us are taking advantage of the quarantine and getting in the kitchen. Baking is a great way to relax the mind, and indulging in a delicious cupcake at the end just puts the frosting on the cake, so to speak.
The frosting is, arguably, the best part of the cake, but who says you have to stick to plain old buttercream or vanilla when you could jazz up your creations with fun colors, shapes, and flavors? And trust us, you don’t have to be a pro to create some beautiful designs. We bring you jello frosting, the gorgeous, flavored cake topping you never knew you needed.
Making frosting out of jello is both tasty and convenient. The gelatin in jello will help your frosting maintain a more solid texture, making it easy to maneuver for fun shapes and patterns atop your baked creations. What’s more, the jello will add a delicious flavor and color to your frosting that will take any cake to the next level. The grandkids are sure to love this one!
There are a few ways to make jello frosting. The easiest way is to use a whipped topping like Reddi Whip ($3.29, Amazon) or Cool Whip ($2.19, Amazon) as a base — no expensive mixers or kitchen tools needed!
To make your own jello frosting at home, follow the recipe below.
- 2 cups whipped topping like Cool Whip or Reddi Whip
- 1 package Jello
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cold water
- ½ cup ice
- Combine boiling water and jello until fully dissolved.
- Combine cold water and ice cubes and add to jello mixture. Whisk until ice cubes are melted completely.
- Add 1 ½ cups whipped topping to the mixture and whisk until combined.
- Chill mixture in the fridge until frosting is a fluffy, mousse-like texture, about one hour.
- Add remaining ½ cup of whipped topping to frosting and fold until frosting reaches ideal texture.
- Add frosting to a piping bag or use a spatula to frost your cakes!
And there you have it! With this simple hack, you can create bright, colorful cake designs. This jello frosting is sure to wow everyone in the family and hold up on cakes for even longer than regular, store-bought versions. Try it in any flavor, and don’t be afraid to get creative! Happy baking!