5 Summer Haircuts That Will Look Cool Long Into Fall
Yes, you can pull them off!
Want to freshen up with a cool summer haircut? These five beat-the-heat styles sure to stun all season — and even into fall!
Lovely in a layered ‘lob’
“Worn down, the movement of a layered collarbone-length cut fans off shoulders, but can just as easily be pulled into a neck-cooling pony on a hot day,” says celebrity hairstylist Nick Stenson.
- WHAT TO ASK FOR: A cut that sits at the collarbone with blended, graduating layers throughout.
- STYLE TIP: Work a dollop of a volumizing mousse (like Nexxus Mousse Plus Volumizing Foam, Walmart) into damp hair from roots to ends. Then blow-dry 1″ sections of hair with a medium-size round brush, flipping hair out toward the ends for playful pizzazz.
Beautiful in a beachy bob
A neck-length bob is short enough to leave the neck exposed for instant cooling in sweltering weather, says celebrity hairstylist Graham Nation. “But the cut is long enough to be styled sleek or wavy, or placed into a low bun or ponytail.” Plus, because a bob encircles the face, it keeps attention on pretty facial features like a megawatt smile.
- WHAT TO ASK FOR: A chin-length bob with long, blended layers and angled ends.
- STYLE TIP: For heat-free, beachy waves, spritz a sea salt spray like UNITE Beach Day Texturizing Spray (Buy at UniteHair.com, $28) all over damp hair. The spray gives hair some grip, while the salt’s minerals “plump up” finer strands. Finish by scrunching hair from roots to ends in 2″ sections to enhance any natural, wavy texture.
Pretty in a polished pixie
A swept-back pixie lifts hair up and off of the forehead so sweaty strands don’t stick to the face, says Stenson. And infusing the shorter ’do with scalp-cooling root volume directs focus upward, giving features like eyes and cheeks a youthful lift.
- WHAT TO ASK FOR: A pixie with wispy, graduating layers and sides that are long enough to be tucked behind ears.
- STYLE TIP: Mist a volumizing spray (like Matrix Biolage Volumebloom Full- Lift Volumizer Spray, Walmart) onto hair at the roots, then tease hair at the back of the crown. Next, smooth strands up and back with a paddle brush. Set with hair spray.
Chic in a cheeky chop
The spaces between choppy layers on a cheek-length cut let the breeze blow through so the face won’t overheat. And styling in side bangs masks brow furrows and adds youthful edge to the short cut, says Nation.
- WHAT TO ASK FOR: A midcheek cut with wispy side bangs and choppy, graduating layers.
- STYLE TIP: Use a 1″ curling iron on 1″ sections of hair, alternating the direction curls fall (one section toward the face and the other away from the face) for less contrived-looking waves. Brush through with fingers to break up curls; set with hair spray.
Striking in a sleek slant
A style that sits at the nape of the neck won’t trap heat, and hair can easily be tucked behind ears if you start to feel hot. What’s more, an uneven cut’s angular shape “chisels” cheekbones and slims the face.
- WHAT TO ASK FOR: A blunt, asymmetrical bob with lightly textured ends and sideswept bangs.
- STYLE TIP: Apply a nickel-size amount of a smoothing serum (like L’Oréal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Frizz Killer Serum, Walmart) onto damp hair before blow-drying to keep humidity and frizz at bay.
This article originally appeared in our print magazine, Woman’s World.
Woman’s World aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission.
Questions? Reach us at email@example.com.
ARNICARE FOR PAIN AND BRUISES!
Powered by Arnica montana, Arnicare® is designed to treat muscle pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruising. The unscented gel cools on contact and absorbs quickly into your skin, leaving no sticky or greasy residue, and provides you with the relief you seek. Learn more at Arnicare.com.