As a young girl, it seemed like my mother was always telling me to clean my room. And as an adolescent, it didn’t just seem that way — it was that way! At the time, I rolled my eyes. Now I realize, as we all eventually do, that my mother was right. Knowing how to clean your bedroom properly isn’t just about appearances; it’s an essential aspect of good health. Out of all the rooms in your house, keeping your bedroom spotless is probably the most important.
Why is a clean bedroom so important?
The majority of us spend half our lives in our bedrooms — so it’s important to keep them clean and pleasant spaces. Dusting the baseboards and surfaces, cleaning the windows, and sweeping the floors are things we all know to do. But what about under your bed? And what about the baseboards behind it? Like it or not, this area is a magnet for dust mites, and dust mites mean germs.
It’s tempting to run the vacuum around the bed — beds are heavy, and often a big pain to move. But don’t skip it! A thorough dusting job is crucial, and here’s why:
Dust mites can pose serious health risks, particularly for those with allergies and asthma. They can also trigger an immune system response called allergic rhinitis, otherwise known as hay fever. An occasional sneeze is one thing — a chronic itchy nose and inflamed sinuses are quite another. If you’re having trouble breathing, you’re having trouble sleeping. And a lack of sleep can negatively affect our physical health. These mites are too heavy to float around, so they end up settling onto bedding, upholstered furniture and pillows. See now why cleaning your room thoroughly is so important?
What is the best way to clean a bedroom?
- Put your dirty clothes and towels in a wash bin or hamper. Do dirty clothes and towels carry germs? You bet they do. Having a regular laundry schedule helps keep everyone in the house healthy. Make sure that dirty laundry doesn’t take the scenic route to the laundry room. It’s best to get it into the washing machine as soon as possible.
- Wash your bedding once a week. This includes sheets, blankets, and duvet cover, if you have one. Don’t forget the dust ruffle!
- Wipe down all surfaces. Of course the bedside table and furniture legs are considered surfaces. But don’t neglect the light fixtures and lampshades! These items are a prime spot for dust.
- Clean the windows and mirror(s). Going over these with rubbing alcohol before wiping them down with windex helps to reduce streaking. Remember to wipe down window sills and crown molding as well.
- Vacuum and mop the floors. Make sure you replace your vacuum cleaner filter every three months. If you can’t move your bed to clean underneath and behind it, get a dusting tool with an extension for those hard to reach areas.
If it sounds like a lot of work, that’s because it is. But as my mother always used to say, it’s for your own good — and your good health, too!
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.