There is an astounding number of plants, both indoor and outdoor varieties, that are poisonous to your pets. Although some are more harmful than others, it pays to be aware and keep your home and garden pet-friendly by either keeping these toxic plants out of your home and opting for pet-friendly indoor plants.
Plants Toxic To Pets
Great for sunburn, not so great for cats or dogs. Aloes contain anthraquinone glycosides which are purgatives and when ingested, they can result in vomiting and diarrhea.
If you’re growing tomatoes in your veggie garden keep your pets away from it. The ripened fruit is considered OK but the green parts of the plant contain solanine, toxic to dogs and cats. A large amount needs to be ingested to result in severe poisoning.
Like tomatoes, this edible plant is not edible for cats and dogs. Chives are part of the Allium family (onion, garlic, leeks) which are all toxic to cats and dogs as onion and garlic poisoning results in damage to the red blood cells.
Tip: Planting pungent herbs, such as rosemary and sage, will keep pets out of the garden bed thanks to their distinct smell. Coleus canina — also known as ‘Scaredy Cat Plant’ — is another great herb with a very pungent smell that felines can’t stand.
If you want to keep this popular trailing plant in your home, hang it up high out of reach from your pets. Signs of ingestion can be noticeable immediately and include pawing at face, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling in the mouth may also occur, making it difficult to breathe or swallow.
Pyrethrins, which are used in pesticides and dog flea and tick medications, are extracted from this plant. Reason enough to keep it away from them!
Plants that are considered ‘true ferns’ – Boston, maidenhair, bird’s nest and staghorn, although not recommended for ingestion, are considered non-toxic for pets. Asparagus fern however, IS toxic, so keep your pets away or get rid of it.
You’d think pets would keep away from this scary-looking houseplant but, you just never know. Also referred to as Sansevieria, when ingested by pets, it can result in gastrointestinal signs like drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Signs of ingestion of this toxic plant can be noticeable immediately and include pawing at the face, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling in the mouth may also occur, making it difficult to breathe or swallow.
Also known as the Dragon tree, this will cause drooling, vomiting, weakness and dilated pupils (cats) when ingested by cats or dogs.
This plant brings everything but peace to your pets. Instead, it will bring on vomiting, oral pain, drooling, and a loss of appetite. Other dangerous types of lilies include Easter, day, Asiatic, Japanese show, Tiger lilies.
Don’t be fooled by their vibrant flowers! Cyclamen contains when any part of the plant (especially the tubers or roots) are chewed or ingested by dogs and cats, it can result in clinical signs of drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Rubber Tree Plants
Compounds such as psoralen, or ficusin, found in the sap of the rubber tree and weeping fig tree (Ficus benjamina) can attack the DNA in cells. All parts of the rubber tree and weeping fig tree are poisonous to pets if ingested.
Although animals are unlikely to have a nibble on this popular garden plant, it pays to keep it out of the garden if you’re worried. This shrub contains cyanogenic glycosides, in it’s leaves and flowers. When ingested by pets, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.
For a full list of plants that are poisonous to your pets or for more information, refer to the Pet Poisons Helpline.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, Homes to Love.