Love it or hate it, astrology is having a moment. From star-centric books in your local Barnes & Noble to Facebook memes, horoscopes have never been more popular. While some view zodiac signs as mere hocus pocus, I find comfort and insight in astrology, tarot, and other mystical practices — and seeing as it’s such a hot commodity these days, I’m clearly not alone in this thinking. In fact, according to Google Trends, searches for “astrology” and “birth chart” both hit five-year peaks in 2020. That’s a lot of people turning to the stars for guidance.
That said, whether or not you’ve ever read about your zodiac sign or know what a “mutable sign” or “rising sign” is doesn’t matter. Why? Because I can almost guarantee you know your star (or “sun”) sign. You wouldn’t be reading this article if you weren’t at least a wee bit curious about astrology — specifically, the Sagittarius sign. A free-spirited bohemian, Sagittarius is the ninth sign of the Zodiac that represents those born between November 22 and December 21. Just like Leo and Aries, Sagittarius is a fire sign in search of ways to leave their creative mark on the world. Are you a Sag looking for more insight into your sun sign’s personality traits and characteristics? Here’s what you need to know.
Sagittarius 101: The Basics
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty of the Sagittarius sign, let’s first unpack the basics:
Dates: November 22 — December 21
Ruling Planet: Jupiter
Zodiac Symbol: The “Archer” or “Centaur”
Sanskrit Name: Dhanus
Lucky Number: 3, 12, 21, 30
Famous Personalities: Tina Turner, Bette Midler, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears
In astrology, Sagittarius is the ninth sign of the zodiac, represented by either a Centaur — a half-human, half-horse creature — shooting a bow and arrow, or by an arrow drawn across a bow. According to zodiac experts, the representation of Sagittarius as a mounted archer was established by the Babylonians as early as the 11th century BCE.
Sagittarius Personality Traits
Let’s get one thing straight — a Sagittarius personality is not like the others. While all fire signs are passionate and energetic, the cosmic Centaur takes it up a notch. They are thinkers and philosophers who love to seek out the truth, no matter the cost. Of all the zodiac signs, these fiery adventurers are the most likely to travel the world, as they have a thirst for knowledge that drives them to explore.
- Generous to loved ones
- Sees the big picture
It’s pretty easy to tell when an Archer enters a room; they’re one of the most boisterous and excitement-loving personalities in the zodiac. Known for their happy-go-lucky attitude and whimsical approach to life, Sagittarians are spontaneous and jump head-on into new adventures. Nothing scares them — hence why they’re often referred to as natural dare-devils.
- Blindly optimistic
Sagittarians are known for being brutally honest and telling it like it is, but sometimes their straight-to-the-point and “no filter” attitude can come off as harsh and insensitive. Additionally, these free-spirits tend to get bored easily and can move from one thing to the next at the drop of a hat; this is why they’ve earned the reputation for being the biggest commitment-phobes in the zodiac.
Those born under the Sagittarius zodiac sign are free spirits who love spontaneity and thrills, making them a challenging match for introverts (sorry, water signs). Romantically, the typical Sag craves a co-pilot who is equally adventurous and open-minded to suit their passionate and expressive nature. Attracted to vibrancy, it’s not uncommon for this fire sign to fall in love with the idea of a person. They are attracted to novelty and live for the chase. They’re also very independent and no stranger to wandering. Here are the most compatible zodiac signs with Sagittarius:
- Leo. When the enthusiastic Lion and the carefree Archer get together, electric passion is sure to follow suit. These fire signs are extroverted in nature and have an innate love for exhilaration in life, making the fiery combo an excellent love match.
- Aries. The curious Ram and the spontaneous Centaur is a match made in zodiac heaven. Since both of these energetic signs are made of fire, they’re likely to get hot and heavy.
- Gemini. The Celestial twins and the Archer make another great match. The former is super open-minded, inquisitive, and undeniably playful, so when a Sag wants to try something new or go on an unplanned adventure, their twin sign would go along with it. It’s all thrill-seeking and fun with these two zodiac signs.
And here are the least compatible zodiac signs for Sagittarius:
- Cancer. Ruled by the moon, the water sign Cancer is a homebody who is all about being considerate of other people’s feelings. Seeing as Sagittarius is free-spirited with a no-filter attitude, it’s not surprising that these two could be a problematic match.
- Scorpio. The passionate Scorpion is happiest when they can form deep and meaningful connections. The independent Archer, on the other hand, is only there for the fun times. While this duo may share some laughs together at first, they typically don’t make a good match long-term.
- Virgo. Another challenging match for Sagittarius is the sign of the Maiden — aka Virgo. This mutable earth sign is a major perfectionist as well as a critical thinker. In short, they can become too analytical and judgemental for the carefree and spontaneous fire sign.
Sagittarius and Career Choices
No matter the occupation, you can always count on an energetic Sag to liven up the workplace. This is especially true if they’re in a career that complements their personality, such as a field-based or freelance role. Sagittarians enjoy these kinds of work environments because they thrive on flexibility. Although there are many, some of the best Sagittarius career choices include:
- Travel Agent
- Flight Attendant
- Human Resources Manager
- Publishing Manager
- Travel Writer
If given enough flexibility, freedom, and room to wander, the Archer is likely to make great strides in the workplace. They can be excellent team players, using their brilliant mind and tolerant ear to work well with others. However, this fire sign needs to be motivated to stay on track, or they can get easily distracted and seem weak-minded.
The Final Word
Known as the explorers of the astrological system, Sag characteristics include a happy-go-lucky and joyful personality. This exuberant fire sign always sees the glass as half full. Even in the worst circumstances, they find something good. Their energetic and enthusiastic disposition makes them devoted friends as well as passionate and generous partners. Whether they’re forging their own path to success or intuiting when someone needs a quick pep talk, Sagittarius zodiac signs are committed to living life to the fullest and are always willing to help others along the way.
Are you a Sagittarius? While astrology signs certainly don’t predetermine an individual’s personality, they can be fascinatingly accurate when it comes to identifying the unique traits of those born under these signs of the zodiac. For a deeper understanding of your cosmic signature, explore your birth chart, which maps out the position of the sun, moon, planets, and stars at the specific place and time of your birth. Developing a deep awareness of your birth chart is a great place to start in understanding your personal astrology.