As we age, thinning hair and hair loss is simply the name of the game. While there are thickening shampoos and hair growth supplements to help out with the hair on our heads, what about our lashes? Sure, you can get extensions or apply false lashes, but these are just time consuming work-arounds that don’t actually get to the root of the problem — literally. If your natural lashes are looking a little sparse, give them the boost they crave with the best lash growth serums for women.
What is lash serum?
First things first, what is a lash growth serum? Like other serums, lash serums are concentrated treatments formulated to deliver key nourishing ingredients directly to the lashes. While each serum is different, some of the most popular ingredients in lash serums are peptides (amino acids), natural extracts, vitamins, collagen, and prostaglandin analogs, known for their ability to stimulate lash growth.
How do lash serums work?
Much like the hair on your head, thin and sparse lashes can be attributed to things like lower estrogen production, older hair follicles, and, most importantly, a lack of moisture. Whether it be from aging or prolonged mascara use, lashes often become dry, brittle, and damaged. This is where lash serums begin to work their magic. By penetrating deep into the lash line with hydrating ingredients, alongside further stimulating ingredients, these serums nourish and revitalize lashes, helping them become longer and stronger with each use.
How to Apply Lash Serum
Now that you know how lash serums work, you probably have one more question — how do you apply a lash growth serum? There are a couple of things to note before biting the bullet. Here are four tips on how to properly apply lash serum.
1. Start with a clean face. Before you start applying your lash growth serum, make sure your face is clean. This means no makeup, no heavy creams, and most importantly, dry eyes and lashes. This way, it can better penetrate the lash line and nourish the lashes when you do apply the serum.
2. Apply carefully and sparingly. As we said above, lash serums are highly concentrated, which means each bottle is potent and long-lasting. To apply a lash serum, remove the applicator from its base, being sure to remove any excess serum along the way (applying too much serum can lead to irritation and is just plain wasteful). Starting from the inner corner of your eye out, delicately apply the serum along the root of your lash line, much like you would an eyeliner.
3. Set it and forget it. Whether you make lash serum a part of your morning or nightly routine, be sure you let the serum fully set before moving on to your next step. After all, it would be a shame to go through the trouble of applying the serum just to hop into bed and wipe it all off on your pillow.
4. Be consistent and be patient. Lash serums are a beauty product whose best friends are time and consistency. To get the results you want, you must apply the serum on a regular basis. The best way to do this is to make is a regular part of your skincare routine. By doing so, applying the serum will become a habit and you’ll be able to get the results you’re seeking. Oh! And don’t be discouraged if you don’t see results right away — many serums take anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months to start making a visible difference.
Best Eyelash Growth Serums
For women over 50, growing or maintaining luscious lashes isn’t an impossibility. With a little time, patience, and the right lash serums, you’ll be on your way to the lashes of your dreams. Ready to start shopping? Keep scrolling for Woman’s World’s picks for the best eyelash growth serums that’ll breathe life into your lashes today.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
Best Lash Growth Serum
1. Best Lash Growth Serum
If there's one over-the-counter lash growth serum you've heard of before, it's the Advanced Eyelash Conditioner from Revitalash. This best-seller has become a cult favorite — and with good reason. Developed by an ophthalmologist, this clinically-tested serum uses a blend of peptides, lipids, biotin, antioxidants, and green tea extract to condition and strengthen lashes while also protecting against further damage from things like mascara and eyelash curlers that can lead to breakage and brittleness. Best of all, this formula is hypoallergenic, non-irritating, vegan, and paraben-free.
Where to buy: $55-$150, Nordstrom
Best Volumzing Lash Growth Serum
2. Best Volumizing Lash Growth Serum
If fuller lashes is what you're really after, try Shiseido's Full Lash Serum. Thanks to its high-performance blend featuring arginine and jujuba fruit extract, this serum expertly hydrates and condition lashes, taking them from brittle and sparse to strong and lush in no time. Bonus: This serum is also great for your brows, too!
Where to buy: $36, Sephora
Best Thickening Last Growth Serum
3. Best Thickening Lash Growth Serum
To visibly thicken and grow your lashes, try the GrandeLASH MD Lash Enhancing Serum. Loaded with ingredients like hyaluronic acid, allantoin, and glycosaminoglycans to hydrate alongside botanical extracts and prostaglandins to nourish and grow lashes, this award-winning serum claims users will begin to notice results in as little as four to six weeks. Ophthalmologist-approved and cruelty-free, you'll feel confident using this serum.
Where to buy: $65, Sephora
Best Natural Lash Growth Serum
4. Best Natural Lash Growth Serum
For the natural-beauty lovers out there, pick up a tube of LashFOOD's Phyto‐Medic Eyelash Enhancer. Created by a team of cosmetic scientists, this serum is clinically proven to grow thicker, longer lashes without the need of any harsh additives. Made with a blend of organic ingredients including soy protein, lavender water, aloe leaf juice, herbal extracts, and amino acids, this vegan formula supports lash growth the natural way.
Where to buy: $78, Ulta
Best Drugstore Lash Growth Serum
5. Best Drugstore Lash Growth Serum
While many lash serums carry a hefty price tag, you don't always have to shell out big bucks for a high-quality lash serum. But it's affordability isn't the only reason we love No7's Lash Impact Lash Serum. This unique formula provides longer, fuller lashes in as little as eight weeks. With a legion of fans and a price tag under $10, it's hard to find a reason not to give this lash growth serum a shot.
Where to buy: $9.99, Target
Best High End Lash Growth Serum
6. Best High-End Lash Growth Serum
On the other end of the spectrum is Lancer's Lash Serum Intense. If you're ready and willing to invest in your lashes, this is the serum to try. Delivering on its promise to transform lashes, this dermatologist-developed serum uses a blend of amino-acid rich biotin, advanced polypeptides, pumpkin seed extract (rich in fatty acids, zinc and antioxidants) and panthenol, also known as vitamin B5, to give you the "Is she wearing falsies?" look of your dreams.
Where to buy: $150, Sephora
Best Lash Serum On Amazon
7. Best Lash Growth Serum on Amazon
If you're like us, you love finding and discovering affordable new beauty products on Amazon. One of our favorite discoveries as of late is the Pronexa Hairgenics Lavish Lash. Promising fuller, thicker lashes in as little as 60 days, this botanically-derived serum is a hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested option that has been shown to successfully stimulate lash growth. And with over 9,000 glowing reviews and a money-back guarantee, it seems we have good reason to be smitten.
Where to buy: $29.99 (Originally $99.99), Amazon
Best Lash Enhancing Growth Serum
8. Best Lash Enhancing Growth Serum
While you might not be familiar with Beverly Hills MD's Lash Enhancing Serum, after giving this formula a go you'll have a hard time putting it down. From the minds of Dr. John Layke and Dr. Payman Danielpour, this lash serum help lashes grow longer, thicker, denser, and darker, using milk protein to reduce brittleness, sodium hyaluronate to moisturize, and Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17 to stimulate keratin production and thus longer, fuller lashes.
Where to buy: $85, Beverly Hills MD
Best Lash And Brow Growth Serum
9. Best Lash and Brow Growth Serum
We all love a product that can multi-task, so if your brows could use as much love as your lashes, pick up the Rapid Lash Eyelash and Eyebrow Enhancing Serum. This formula visibly thickens and enhances the look of lashes and brows thanks to its innovative formula. With peptides, biotin, hyaluronic acid, pumpkin seed extract, soybean oil, and panthenol at the helm, you can rest assured your lashes and brows will be fuller and fortified.
Where to buy: $49.99, Dermstore