A nourishing and exfoliating body scrub is all you need to look and feel summer ready, say skin experts. Check out this mix-and-match list of ingredients you likely have at home to customize the DIY skin scrub that’s perfect for you.
Your recipe to perfect skin
- Scoop 1 ½ cups of an exfoliant from the first category (“If your skin is”) into a bowl.
- Mix in 3 ⁄4 cup of a hydrating binder from the second category (“If you want to”).
- Add 5 drops of a mood-elevating essential oil from the third category (“If you want to feel”).
- Spoon in 3 tablespoons of the age-defying fruits (pureed or freshly squeezed) from the fourth category (“Bonus”); stir well.
TO DO: While showering, massage the scrub you’ve made onto damp skin using circular motions for up to 5 minutes, then rinse.
If your skin is:
- Oily: Baking soda. Absorbs excess oil and balances skin’s pH.
- Sensitive: Epsom salts. Magnesium in the salts soothes irritated skin.
- Dry: Coffee grounds. The fine granules gently exfoliate flakes.
- Combo: Sea salt. The crystals slough off dead cells while its sulfur dries up oil.
If you want to:
- Reduce rashes: Honey. Calms inflammation to even out skin tone.
- Erase dry patches: Olive oil. Its squalene provides lasting hydration.
- Smooth crepiness: Coconut oil. Fatty acids plump skin to “fill in” fine lines.
- Tone sagging: Avocado oil. Antioxidants stimulate collagen production to firm skin.
If you want to feel:
- Energized: Orange oil. Increases blood flow to boost pep.
- Happy: Geranium oil. Regulates stress hormones to lift mood.
- Calm: Sandalwood oil. Promotes mental clarity for peace and relaxation.
- Refreshed: Eucalyptus oil. Stimulates the mind to enhance alertness and focus.
- Beat ‘bacne’: Lemon. Citric acid cleans out pores.
- Erase age spots: Grapefruit. Vitamin C brightens discoloration.
- Fade stretch marks: Papaya. Vitamin E helps reduce scarring.
- Smooth cellulite: Kiwi. Vitamin A repairs and strengthens connective tissue to nix dimpling.
No time to DIY? Try a premade scrub!
- If your skin is oily: Alba Botanica Acnedote Face & Body Scrub (Buy from Amazon, $14.99) uses walnut shell powder (it gently exfoliates), witch hazel (it absorbs excess oil) and salicylic acid (it kills any acne-causing bacteria) to treat oily, blemish-prone skin.
- If your skin is sensitive: Gentle sugar crystals in Tree Hut Lavender Shea Sugar Scrub (Buy from Amazon, $22.99) whisk away dry patches, while its blend of skin-soothing lavender extract and moisturizing shea butter leave skin supple and irritation-free.
- If your skin is dry: Coffee grounds in Frank Body Original Coffee Scrub (Buy from Amazon, $16.95) slough off flakes. It also contains hydrating sweet almond oil, which deeply penetrates skin to restore moisture.
- If you have combination skin: Lush Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub (Buy from LushUSA, $23) contains a mix of gritty sea salt and astringent lime oil that work together to remove dead skin cells and limit oil production to balance combination skin.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.
This article originally appeared in our print magazine, Woman’s World.