North Coast Organic
Want to know the secret to baking a perfectly moist cake? Applesauce! It may sound strange, but trust us: Applesauce is one of the easiest ways to make sure your cake's texture is just right. Even better, applesauce is a great substitute when you're out of eggs or cooking for a vegan crowd.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups North Coast Organic Applesauce
- 1 cup vegetable (or avocado) oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 4 oz. milk chocolate baking chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform baking pan ($15, Amazon).
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir.
4. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Remove pan from the oven. Let cool.
6. While the cake cools, heat the cream (or coconut milk) in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
7. Put the chocolate in a bowl and pour the cream over the chocolate. Let it melt for two to three minutes. Stir until smooth.
8. Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the chocolate ganache on top and let it run down the sides of the cake. Let the ganache cool and harden slightly prior to serving.
+This recipe was originally published by <a target="blank" href="https://northcoast.organic/recipes/north-coast-chocolate-apple-sauce-cake/">North Coast Organic.+_
See, vegan desserts can be tasty! Watch the video below to learn about 11 other delicious foods that are surprisingly vegan: