Fresh, Light, and Perfect for Spring: Balsamic Kale Salad With Poached Salmon
Spring is finally here, which means fresh fruits and veggies, leisurely picnics, and light-and-airy lunch dates with the girls.
This weekend, surprise the gang with a crisp kale salad, made with heart-healthy poached salmon and topped with pomegranate seeds and crumbled Bûcherondin — which will pair nicely with a bottle of smooth Pinot Grigio.
Bonus: This easy kale salad recipe also makes for a colorful, nutritious side dish for your Easter dinner.
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1-2 sprigs of dill
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Black peppercorns
- 2 skinless salmon fillets (about 1/2 pound)
For the salad and assembly:
- 1 1/2 bunches lacinato kale, stemmed and sliced into thin ribbons
- Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- 3 oz. Bûcherondin, at room temperature, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cook the salmon. In a medium pot, combine the celery, onion, lemon, dill, salt, and peppercorns with four cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low, slide in the salmon, making sure it’s fully submerged. Cover with a lid and simmer for six to eight minutes, just until the salmon is opaque throughout. Remove the pot and let cool slightly.
3. Make the salad. Place the kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, massage the kale for one to two minutes until it softens and turns darker in color.
4. Add the vinegar and oil and toss to coat. Transfer the kale to a serving platter and tear the salmon into chunks over the top.
5. Sprinkle with the pumpkin and pomegranate seeds and top with Bûcherondin. Season with pepper and serve.
This recipe was created by Alexandra Shytsman of The New Baguette for Goat Cheeses of France.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, First for Women.
ARNICARE FOR PAIN AND BRUISES!
Powered by Arnica montana, Arnicare® is designed to treat muscle pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruising. The unscented gel cools on contact and absorbs quickly into your skin, leaving no sticky or greasy residue, and provides you with the relief you seek. Learn more at Arnicare.com.