Summer is almost here, and that means it’s time to get ready to rock those summer dresses. We know you don’t have a ton of extra time on your hands, but luckily, with this easy workout routine you can whittle your waistline so you’re looking trim and feeling your best once the season begins. Check out the moves below!
Squats: Work your legs and bottom.
1. Stand in front of a chair with your feet shoulder width apart and your toes turned out. Pull in your belly button and start to lower your bottom towards the chair. Your knees should make a 90-degree angle with the floor. Raise your arms in front of you as you lower.
2. Just before you sit down, push through your heels and squeeze your bottom to stand back up while bringing your arms down by your sides. Try to do two or three sets of 12 repetitions, resting when you need to.
Step-Up: Burns calories and tones your body.
1. Using your bottom stair or an aerobics step if you have one, step onto the stair with your right foot. Bring your left knee up to hip height, so your thigh is parallel to the floor. Pause slightly then bring your left foot back to the floor and step back off the step again with your right foot.
2. Repeat the exercise on the other side — step up with your left foot and lift your right knee up to hip height. Get into a steady rhythm and try to keep going for as long as you can, up to 10 minutes.
Tricep Extensions: Tones your upper arms.
1. Rest your left leg on a step or stair and put your right leg out behind you for balance. Lean forward slightly and rest your left hand on your left thigh. Hold a bottle of water or a hand weight in your right hand and lift your right elbow up behind you to shoulder height. Keep your elbow tight to the side of your body.
2. Slowly extend your right arm out straight behind you to a slow count of two, without locking your elbow or raising your shoulder. Pause a moment and then bend your arm again, keeping your elbow at shoulder height. Try to do three sets of 12 repetitions on each arm.
Oblique Twists: Pulls in and firms your waist.
1. Stand with good posture, with your feet hip-width apart and your knees relaxed. Hold a hand weight or bottle of water in both hands straight out in front of you at hip height. Twist at your waist and turn your whole upper body to the right swiveling on your right foot.
2. Twist back to the center and check your posture.
3. Then twist to your left side, swiveling on your right foot. Twist from side to side in a slow and steady rhythm, holding in your stomach muscles to support your spine. Do two sets of 12 repetitions.
Abdominal Cross Over: Tones up your tummy, waist, and hips.
1. Lie on your back with your fingertips at your temples. Bend your knees and raise your feet off the floor so that your knees form a 90-degree angle. This is your starting point.
2. Cross your left elbow towards your right knee for two slow counts, while extending your left leg out straight. Use your stomach muscles to pull you up into this position. Return to the starting point and then repeat on the other side. Crossing your elbow to your right knee and extending your left leg. Do two sets of 12 repetitions alternating sides throughout.
Hip Rolls: Strengthens your back and tummy and whittles your waist.
1. Lie on your back with your arms out the sides at shoulder height. Bend your knees and raise your feet off the floor so that your knees form a 90-degree angle. This is your starting point.
2. Pull in your belly button and slowly roll your legs to the right until your knees just touch the floor. Try to keep your shoulders and arms on the floor. Hold for a count of two and then use the muscles down the sides of your waist and your abdominal muscles to lift your legs back into position. Repeat on the other side and do two sets of 12 repetitions alternating sides throughout.
This article originally appeared on our sister site, Yours.