Family Dollar was the dream of 21-year-old entrepreneur Leon Levine who opened his first store in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1959. From the start, Levine had a singular goal in mind: Sell high-quality goods that were also affordable. So he capped his store’s prices at just $2. His mission to make every shopper’s dollar count was a big hit that caught on fast. In fact, Family Dollar became so popular, it has now grown to more than 8,000 locations nationwide. Staying true to Levine’s mission, Family Dollar has kept its promise to sell high-quality products that fit even the tightest budget. Today, Family Dollar prices generally range from $1 to $10. And in August of 2023, the retailer announced that it’s lowering its prices further helping shoppers to save money shopping at Family Dollar.
But a low everyday price isn’t the only way Family Dollar keeps your spending down. When you shop at Family Dollar, you also get coupons for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more every Saturday, digital Smart Coupons that you can stack with paper coupons and low-cost store brands for all sorts of merchandise.
Now, our shopping pros want to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck every time you shop at Family Dollar, so they’re sharing their favorite savings tips with you!
1. ‘Clip’ digital Family Dollar Smart Coupons to save even more
A simple way to save more at Family Dollar? “Clip” Family Dollar’s Smart Coupons! These are digital coupons issued by Family Dollar and manufacturers that you can use when shopping in person.
“I think the most surprising thing to people who are just getting into couponing at Family Dollar is that the store actually has an app that has digital coupons,” says extreme couponer Ashley Barnes of the Facebook group CouponWithAshleyB.
And these digital offers can save you a bundle! That’s because not only can you find more than 100 coupons at any time, but many are also high value. For example, some recent coupons include $5 off a $25 purchase of Gain laundry products, $4 off 2 Vaseline lotion products and $3 off Tyson frozen chicken.
“And it’s as easy as clipping the coupons to your phone and entering your phone number at checkout for those coupons to apply,” Barnes assures.
To get started, first download the free Family Dollar app from the App Store or Google Play. Open the app and tap the “Coupons” tab from the Home screen. You’ll be taken to the Smart Coupons page, where you can view all the coupons at once or browse coupons by category, such as “Beauty” and “Food”. Click the scissors at the bottom of each coupon to load them to your account.
You can also add Smart Coupons to your account on your computer. Just log in at FamilyDollar.com, then tap the “Coupons” icon at the top of the page. You’ll get a list of all available coupons, which you can clip, then use the next time you shop in the store.
When you’re ready to check out after shopping at Family Dollar, the cashier will scan a unique barcode that’s in your Family Dollar app, which you can find by opening the app and tapping “Wallet” at the bottom. Or you can enter your phone number into the credit/debit card keypad. Your coupon savings will be applied to your total.
Additional Smart Coupons are added regularly, so keep checking back and look for the “new” banner. Also, check coupon details carefully since some coupons can be redeemed more than once.
An added bonus: Digital coupons can be applied to sale and clearance items for bigger savings!
2. Shop Saturdays to save money shopping at Family Dollar
There’s a secret about Family Dollar every shopper needs to know: “You can save even more every Saturday by using the $5 off $25 purchase digital coupon that’s only available on that day of the week to use,” says deals pro Brenda Rodriguez of Facebook’s Brodie Saves.
Every week, you’ll find the latest $5-off coupon in the Family Dollar app or at FamilyDollar.com. Just ‘clip’ it to add it to your account, then use it when shopping on Saturday.
An added bonus: “You can stack other digital coupons on top of the $5/$25 Saturday digital coupon,” Rodriguez shares. This means that if you add a digital coupon to your account for $3 off a certain product, you’ll get a total of $8 off your shopping bill when pairing it with Saturday’s $5 digital coupon! Just keep in mind that you’ll need to meet the minimum $25 purchase requirement after all other coupons and discounts are applied to redeem the $5 Saturday coupon.
3. Combine coupons to save money shopping at Family Dollar
In addition to accepting digital coupons, Family Dollar also allows you to redeem manufacturers’ paper coupons, for example, from newspaper inserts and printed from the Internet. That’s good news for you since Family Dollar allows you to combine one manufacturer coupon with one Family Dollar coupon per item, regardless of whether the coupons are digital, paper or both.
Another bonus: Like digital offers, print coupons can be applied to sale and clearance items.
4. Snap up *these* bargains to save money shopping at Family Dollar
Every week, you’ll find new sales on merchandise throughout the store at Family Dollar. To see what’s been discounted this week, visit FamilyDollar.com, or open the Family Dollar app, select a store, then tap “Current Ad”. But you don’t have to wait for sales to find great deals. You’ll find super-low prices every day on certain items. “The products that are best to buy at Family Dollar because they’re such great bargains are household essentials (such as laundry detergent, toothpaste and toothbrushes), smell-good products (like Febreze and Airwick), paper products and trash bags,” says deals expert Melyssa Galindo of Facebook’s Couponing4Beginners.
5. Find major brands at rock-bottom prices
The popularity of discount dollar stores has caught the attention of major national brands who are now putting more of their products on shelves at these retailers, including Family Dollar. This means you can get an even wider selection of food, household goods and beauty supplies from your favorite big-name brands at low prices. For example, at Family Dollar, you’ll find low prices on products from Betty Crocker, Bounty, Dunkin Donuts, French’s, Heinz, Knorr, Kraft, Revlon, Schick, Scott and Tide, just to name a few!
6. Cut costs with Family Dollar private brands
Family Dollar prides itself on its more than 20 store brands that are low-priced rivals to their big-name counterparts. And trying them comes at no risk! According to the Family Dollar Brands Guarantee, if you are not 100% satisfied with any Family Dollar brand product, simply return it within 30 days to any of their stores with a receipt for an exchange or full refund.
Look for these Family Dollar private brand bargains when shopping:
- American XT: A line of automotive products, including car washing supplies, motor oil and windshield washer fluid
- Ashland Farms: Cat and dog food
- Catawba Candy: An assortment of chocolates, gummi worms, hard candies, peppermints and spice drops
- Chestnut Hill: A wide array of baking needs, foods, snacks and other kitchen essentials, including breadcrumbs, cereal, chips, coffee, cookies, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, mac & cheese, peanut butter, soup, spaghetti, spices, sprinkles and vegetable oil
- Daxton: Grooming basics for men that include cleansers, shaving cream, personal care items and hair care products
- Driver’s Choice: A wide range of car care products, such as car seat covers, cup holders and protectant wipes
- Eatz: Snacks like chips, cookies, crackers, nuts, salsa and pickles
- Extremely Me: Trendy styles for young girls
- Family Chef: A wide range of kitchenware that includes charcoal grills, dish cloths, flatware, food storage, oven mitts, pans and pots
- Family Pet: A full line of pet food and accessories that includes beds, bowls, collars, food, kitty litter, puppy pads, toys and treats
- Handyline: Hardware supplies for home improvement
- Highland Originals: A clothing line of men’s and boys’ casual fashion basics
- Homeline: All your houseware needs, such as aluminum foil, batteries, cleaning products, disposable plates, laundry detergent, paper towels, soap, toilet paper and trash bags
- Interiors By Design: Modern home décor that includes bathroom accessories, candles, furniture, plush throw blankets, rugs and towels
- Just Be: A sophisticated, yet casual women’s fashion line that features the latest on-trend styles
- Kidgets: A line of baby products, such as accessories, blankets, clothing, diapers, footwear, sippy cups and toiletries
- Modesa: Women’s health and beauty products that includes cleansers, creams, hair care, personal care items and shaving essentials
- Outdoors by Design: Accessories, tools and furniture for your backyard, garden and patio
- Pro Player: A line of activewear for the whole family that includes shorts, sneakers and socks
- Silver Falls: A collection of beverages that include flavored water, juice, soda and spring water
- Tropic Sun: Summer essentials from sunscreen to beach toys
7. Never waste a penny with Family Dollar’s return policy
Family Dollar private brand products aren’t the only items you can return to the store if you’re not satisfied. The discount retailer allows you to return other merchandise that’s been purchased in stores or online to any Family Dollar location within 30 days of purchase. Online purchases from FamilyDollar.com may also be returned by contacting online Customer Order Support at 833-232-0002.
If you still have your original receipt and bring it with you during the return, you can exchange the item or get a refund in the original form of your payment.
Without a receipt, you can return up to 3 items within a 30-day period. Items will be exchanged or refunded at the lowest advertised price. And refunds will be issued as a Family Dollar merchandise return card.
8. Stock up with FamilyDollar.com bulk purchase savings
If you’re looking to buy larger quantities than your local Family Dollar might stock (for example, for a party), head to FamilyDollar.com. You can purchase products by the case while getting low Family Dollar prices. This includes food, gift bags and paper goods.
Want to avoid shipping fees? You can get your FamilyDollar.com order shipped at no cost when you opt to have it delivered to your local store, then pick it up.
8. Earn cash back at FamilyDollar.com with Rakuten
Join the free cash back program at Rakuten.com, then download its mobile app and website extension. When you shop at FamilyDollar.com on your computer or through the Rakuten app on your smartphone, you’ll earn 2% cash back on qualifying purchases.
For more store savings click through the links below!