When the clock strikes midnight on December 31 and the New Year begins, many people are thinking about their goals and resolutions for the next 365 days. For some, that might be eating a more balanced diet. For others, those goals are weight loss. If you’re an older woman who wants to lose weight in the new year, we’ve found some tools that can help including supplements, workout clothing, and at-home workout equipment. Get started on the right foot with the right tools and tackle weight loss with ease in 2024!
Importance of staying active for women
Being active doesn’t solely have to be about losing weight. As we age, we can lose mobility and other abilities we once had. Staying active can help combat that! Sticking to a workout routine can help prevent certain health conditions and reduce the risk of falls, all of which can allow you to maintain your independence longer later in life.
Supplements that may help with weight loss
While not backed by the Food and Drug Administration, many people incorporate supplements into their weight loss plan because they may improve overall health and help manage some health conditions like heart disease and vision loss, among other things. Before starting on any kind of supplement, consult with your doctor first to see if they’re right for you.
Citrus Ginger Supports
Benefits of Emma Gut Health
- Helps relax intestinal muscles, and increases motility for complete release and elimination every single day
- Shed 10-15 pounds of waste that is clogging up your colon in just the first month
Benefits of Ting
- Metabolism converts fat, protein, and carbs into cellular currency
- Enhances performance
- Supports normal serotonin production, brain function, and short-term memory
Benefits of Bloom
- Supports gut health
- Relieves bloat
- Promotes energy
Editor’s Note: It’s hard to find greens that actually taste good — these are the exception! They’re the least ‘green-y tasting’ greens I’ve ever tried and they come in delicious flavors (like mango, coconut, and strawberry kiwi) that actually taste like they should!
Benefits of Ritual Protein
- 20 grams of clean, traceable plant-based protein
- Helps form lean muscle and support muscle recovery after exercise
Benefits of Cinnamon
- Cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels by slowing the breakdown of carbs in the digestive tract and improving insulin sensitivity, which can reduce hunger pangs
- Cinnamon is a great replacement for sugar
Stay motivated to workout with these fitness fits
Finding the motivation to workout comes partially from the fuel you put into your body. The things you eat and drink before a workout can make a big difference, but so can the clothing you put on your body! These are some of our favorite fitness fits that’ll motivate you to get moving in the new year.
Why We Love Them
- Three styles to choose from: Do-everything, Trail-pocketing, and Warmth
- Backed by Janji’s 5-year guarantee
- 2% of every purchase gets donated to support clean water projects
Color Choices: Midnight (pictured), Foliage, Galaxy
Why We Love It
- Halter-style neckline provides serious support with medium compression that molds to you
- The fabric is buttery soft and moisture-wicking, perfect for all kinds of workouts
Sizes: XS/S, M/L, XL
Color Choices: Olive (pictured), Black, Mauve
Why We Love Them
- Full cushion foot athletic sport socks provide comfort and extra impact protection
- Breathable cotton keeps feet cool and comfortable
- Ribbing holds socks in place without creating tightness around legs
Sizes: One size fits most
Color Choices: These limited edition socks only come in black, but Fitness Snob has more colorful sock options!
Why We Love Them
- Heel folds down easily to go from training mode to recover mode
- Personalized fit, one click at a time, with a 12-point lockdown system
- Machine washable
Sizes: 3.5 Men’s/5 Women’s – 18 Men’s/19.5 Women’s
Color Choices: Black/Iridescent (pictured), Beta/White/Black, Black/White, White/Black/Metallic Silver, White/Midnight Navy/Gold Rush, Mod Gray/Pitch Gray/Metallic Silver, Harbor Blue/White/Lime Surge, Midnight Navy/White, Red/White/Black, Taxi/Black, White/Red, Mod Gray/Black
Why We Love It
- Thermoregulating, wool-blend fabric that allows you to stay out longer during workouts in the cold
- Slim fit that hits at the waist and skims to your body
Color Choices: Storm Teal/Blazer Blue Tone/Dark Lavender (pictured), Natural Ivory/Bone/White, Black/Graphite Grey/Asphalt Grey
Why We Love It
- Slim-fitted collar-neck jacket with a zip front
- Made of breathable material that has four-way stretch, is anti-microbial, sweat-wicking, and has a UPF 50+
- Marshmallow soft and lightweight
Color Choices: Classic (pictured), Navy, Evergreen, Concrete, Blackberry, Snow, Blueberry, Magenta, Lime, Clover
Workout equipment and recovery tools that can help on your weight loss journey
No gym membership? No worries! There are plenty of free workout programs you can access through YouTube and other online platforms and apps. But you’ll need the right equipment. Before you choose the workout equipment that’s right for you, consider the following:
How to choose at-home workout equipment that’s right for you
- What are your goals? Do you want to tone muscle, lose weight, or both? After talking with your doctor about your fitness goals and any limitations you might have, you’ll be better equipped to choose the equipment that’s right for you.
- How much space do you have? Consider where you’ll be working out, as this will impact the kind of equipment you invest in (as well as how much!).
- What is your budget? You don’t have to buy expensive equipment to stay in shape, but if your budget allows for it and you prefer equipment with all the bells and whistles, there are plenty of expensive options out there!
Below are some of our favorites to make working out at home fun and easy. Plus, we’ve included some of our favorite tools for recovery, too!
Tempo Move Plus Comes With
- Tempo Core (the dock where you’ll place your phone and stream classes)
- Storage cabinet
- Weight collars
- 7.5lb dumbbells
- 75lbs of mixed weights
- Cable pack (HDMI and USB-C)
- 25lb barbell
- 25lb competition plates
- 5mm workout mat
Editor’s Note: The Tempo takes the guesswork out of working out at home. With various programs designed to target different muscle groups, live classes, and feedback as you move, I may never step foot into a gym again.
Apex G3Plus Comes With
- Apex G3 Plus
- Ab crunch
- Dip bars
- Wing attachments
- Leg pulley system
- Basic squat stand
- 2 DVDs
- Attachable flip chart and wall chart
- Exercise book and nutrition guide
Folding Treadmill Features Include
- Can be used for walking, jogging, or running
- Powerful but ultra-quiet 2.25 HP motor
- 5-layer non-slip walking surface
- Bluetooth capabilities
- Easy to fold, move, and store
Oversized Body Wrap Benefits
- Sends safe, far infrared wavelengths below the skin’s surface to target sore spots and penetrate muscles more deeply than traditional heating pads
- Provides temporary relief for all of your major and minor muscle aches and pains including inflammation, menstrual cramps, joint stiffness, arthritis pain, spasms, and back pain relief
Theragun Sense Benefits
- Relieves aches, pains, and tension
- Eases soreness and stiffness
- Reduces stress
- Improves sleep
- Increases circulation and mobility
Want more workout routines and weight loss inspiration? Keep reading!
This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice or diagnosis. Always consult your physician before pursuing any treatment plan.