We jumpstarted this showstopper with spice cake mix and finished it with a drizzle of rich dulce de leche — for an extra treat, add even more dulce de leche between the layers.
2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 apples, cored
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. spice cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 Tbs. + 1½ cups butter, at room temp.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbs. walnut pieces
- ⅓ cup dulce de leche
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (8”) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Peel and grate 1 apple. Prepare cake mix according to package directions with eggs, oil and 1 cup water; stir in grated apple. Divide among pans. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 min. Cool 10 min. Transfer from pans to rack; cool.
- Peel and dice remaining apple. In skillet over medium heat, melt 1 Tbs. butter; add diced apple. Cook, stirring, until soft, 5 min. Cool. On medium, beat remaining 1½ cups butter until fluffy. On low, beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; on medium-high, beat until fluffy, 2 min. Reserve ½ cup frosting.
- Combine dulce de leche and ½ tsp. water. Trim cakes if domed. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with half of remaining frosting. Repeat layering once. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread with reserved ½ cup frosting; chill 1 hr. Top with dulce de leche, apple mixture and walnuts.