This guaranteed-to-please colorful casserole is make-ahead easy; simply reheat it in a low-temp oven.
1 ½ hour
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into ⅛ “-thick slices
- 1 ½ lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ⅛ “-thick slices
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup shredded Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Coat 2½-qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, mix cream, milk, garlic, salt, and nutmeg. Add potatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes start to soften and liquid thickens slightly, 8–10 min.; gently stir in chives and thyme.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. Bake 20 min., sprinkle with cheese. Bake until tender and golden brown, about 25 min. Let stand 15 min. before serving.