Zingy pumpkin pie spice balances the sweetness of the frosting and dulce de leche drizzle on this bakeshop beauty.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) pkg. spice cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups butter, at room temp.
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, at room temp.
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup canned dulce de leche
- Fresh cranberries and cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Heat oven to 325°F. Coat 2 (9″) round cake pans with cooking spray. On low speed, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs, oil and spice until blended, 30 sec.; on medium speed, beat 2 min. Divide evenly between pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, 24–29 min. Let cool 15 min. on racks. Transfer from pans to racks; cool.
- On medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then vanilla until combined. On medium-high speed, beat until light and fluffy. Transfer ⅔ cup frosting to pastry bag fitted with star tip; reserve.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread top with 1⅓ cups frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread top and side with remaining frosting. Chill until set, 30 min. Stir 2 Tbs. water into dulce de leche. Spread over top of cake, allowing some to drip down sides. Pipe stars in center of cake using reserved frosting. If desired, top with fresh cranberries and whole cinnamon sticks.