Sweet apricots, zesty olives, and smoky eggplant add even more flavor to this marinated chicken dish inspired by the Mediterranean.
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves about 2 1/2 lbs
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 large eggplant about 1 1/2 lbs, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 peppers mixed colors, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 c. dried apricots halved
- 1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives halved
- 1 c. unsalted chicken broth
Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. In medium bowl, combine chicken, 1 tbsp oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Let stand at room temp. 30 min.
Heat oven to 425°F. Coat 11"x17"x1" nonstick sheet pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, combine basil, fennel, tomato paste, and remaining oil, salt, and pepper. Add eggplant, onion, and peppers; toss well. Transfer to sheet pan.
Roast vegetables 15 min. Stir in apricots, olives, and broth. Place chicken on top of vegetables; roast 36–38 min., until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of largest piece registers 160°F.
From Hero Dinners by Marge Perry and David Bonom. Copyright © 2019 by Marge Perry and David Bonom. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.