Roasting helps caramelize the squash and sweet potato for extra rich flavor. Feel free to cook a day in advance.
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (6 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. butter, melted
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 350°F. On rimmed baking sheet, toss butternut squash, sweet potato and olive oil; season.
- Roast 40 minutes, stirring once.
- Mash squash and potatoes with butter, maple syrup and thyme.