Perk up plain rice and beans with scallions, melty cheddar cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. uncooked rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. butter cut into pieces
- 1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 1/3 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped scallions
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
In medium pot, bring chicken broth to boil over high heat. Add rice and salt; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 15 minutes.
Remove rice from heat. Stir beans, peas, and butter into rice until just combined (do not stir too much or rice will become sticky). Cover pot and let rice mixture stand 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to large serving bowl. Stir in cheese, scallions, cilantro, lime zest, and juice. Serve immediately.