Thanks to this cute crudité and trendy roasted garlic dip, even vegetarians can enjoy some turkey on Thanksgiving!
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 env. (1 oz.) ranch salad dressing & seasoning mix, such as Hidden Valley
- 1 scallion, finely chopped, ¼ cup
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Broccoli florets
- 6 Persian or small cucumbers
- 2 cloves
- Long baby carrots
- 2 red and/or orange peppers
- 1 bunch kale, preferably Tuscan, about 8 oz., trimmed
- Endive leaves
- 2 pecan halves
- Roast garlic: Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel away loose, papery layers from each head of garlic without separating cloves. Cut off top ⅓ of each head; discard. Place each head in separate small sheet of foil; drizzle cut side of each with 1 tsp. oil and seal in foil. Place on baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until garlic is tender. Cool.
- Make dip: Squeeze garlic pulp from skins into bowl; mash with fork. Stir in mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch mix, scallion, dill, milk and zest until combined. Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make serving bowl: Scoop out seeds and enough flesh from squash half, to make ½”-thick shell; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve crudités.
- Cook broccoli: Fill bowl with ice water. Bring pot of salted water to boil; add broccoli. Cook until just tender, 45-60 seconds. With slotted spoon, transfer broccoli to ice water. When cool, drain. Pat dry; wrap in paper towels.
- Make turkey head decoration: Cut 1 cucumber in half lengthwise; reserve 1 piece. For eyes, insert cloves into skin on top end of remaining cucumber half. For beak, cut wedge from 1 carrot. Cut slit in cucumber; insert beak. For wattle, cut piece from red pepper; with dot of dip, attach to cucumber. Reserve.
- Cut crudités: Cut orange pepper and remaining red pepper into ¼”-thick rings. Diagonally slice remaining 5 cucumbers and reserved piece. Halve carrots lengthwise. Cover cut vegetables with damp paper towels; reserve.
- Assemble turkey: Spoon dip into squash; place near bottom edge of large round serving platter. Arrange kale, endive, carrots, cucumber slices, pepper rings, crackers and broccoli around dip. Place turkey head on dip. For feet, place pecans below squash. Serve with additional vegetables and crackers.