If you were hoping to grill a whole hog this weekend, you may want to rethink your plans. More than 100,000 pounds of the BBQ favorite have been recalled out of fear the meat was contaminated with sickness-causing Salmonella. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) says 134 people fell ill possibly because they ate the bacteria-laden hogs.
The recall was issued by Kapowsin Meats, a Washington State-based company, after people experienced symptoms, like diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, associated with Salmonella poisoning. Some who eat the tainted meat could develop infections serious enough to warrant hospitalization.
The meat was sold in stores in Washington and Alaska and also sent directly to consumers and distributors. The offending hogs were produced between April and July. But the contamination may affect more than just the hogs from Kapowsin. It could stem from other animals on farms in Washington or Montana, according to Food Safety News.
To find out if any meat already in your fridge or freezer is affected, check inside the mark of inspection. Recalled hogs have "Est. 1628" on them and shouldn't be eaten. If you've already consumed potentially tainted meat, watch for symptoms and contact a healthcare professional.