Give your winter-worn body and mind some much-needed TLC with these island-friendly fruit-infused DIY treatments. You’ll feel like you traveled to a restorative oasis without leaving the house!
Restore hair luster with a banana conditioner.
The fruit’s high amounts of amino acids absorb into follicles, hydrating them from the inside so hair grows in lustrous. Pairing with olive oil (its squalane locks in moisture) and honey (its compounds increase luster) helps hair look instantly more shiny.
- Try it: Mix together 1 banana, 2 Tbs. of olive oil and 1 Tbs. of honey. Apply all over damp hair, let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse.
Calm rashy skin with a kiwi compress.
Thanks to its antiinflammatory compounds, kiwi can reduce skin redness and inflammation on contact. Adding humectant honey to the mix moisturizes skin to speed rash-calming results.
- Try it: Puree 1½ cups of kiwi, then combine with 1 Tbs. of honey. Saturate a washcloth with the mix and place on irritated skin. Let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing.
Fade age spots with a papaya lotion.
Papaya’s enzymes slough off dead, discolored skin cells, while its vitamin C naturally brightens skin to even out tone, says celebrity aesthetician Lora Condon. Boost skin-illuminating benefits by mixing with exfoliating yogurt.
- Try it: Combine ¼ cup of frozen papaya (thawed and mashed) and 3 Tbs. of yogurt. Dab the mix onto areas with dark spots. Let sit for 15 minutes before rinsing.
Firm saggy skin with a cantaloupe mask.
The orange melon is packed with collagen-promoting vitamin A, which helps firm saggy, creased skin, says Condon. And using it with aloe vera (its compounds hydrate and plump) leaves skin looking tauter even faster.
- Try it: Mix ¼ cup of pureed cantaloupe and ¼ cup of aloe vera gel. Rub on skin; rinse after 10 minutes.
Mend dry, cracked hands with a coconut cream.
Fatty acids in the fruit restore moisture, while antioxidants repair damaged skin and seal cracks. Also smart? Combine with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial orange oil. It helps ward off any irritation or infection.
- Try it: Mix 1 Tbs. of coconut oil and 2 drops of orange essential oil (like Revive Orange 100% Pure Essential Oil, $7, Revive-EO.com). Rub on hands and let absorb.
3 Fruity Essential Oils to Add For Instant Happy
- De-stress with mango. The fruit’s sweet fragrance eases the mind to nix feelings of stress and anxiety, so you’ll be worry-free in seconds. Try: Rainbow Abby Mango Essential Oil, $8, Buy at Amazon
- End cravings with grapefruit. Inhaling grapefruit oil’s primary component, limonene, helps the brain release hunger-blocking chemicals to suppress appetite. Try: Plant Therapy Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil, $8, Walmart.com
- Reenergize with lime. The zesty citrus scent wakes up the brain, increasing alertness and focus in minutes. Try: Aura Cacia 100% Pure Lime Essential Oil, $5, iHerb.com
This story originally appeared in our print magazine.