Everyone’s reason for partaking in Dry January (a.k.a. the practice of giving up alcohol for the entire month) is different. Maybe you’re choosing to take a break from booze to lower your calorie count and meet your weight loss goals; perhaps you simply overindulged during the holidays and want to make up for it by cutting back for a few weeks. Regardless of your motivations, this practice is a simple and rewarding way to start the new year with a clean slate. But temporarily restricting your alcohol intake doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a delicious drink. Here are seven of the best non-alcoholic drinks to sip this month (and year round)— after all, it’s never too late to take a mini-break from alcohol.
Our 7 Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drinks
The FDA notes that any beverage labelled “alcohol-removed” contains less than 0.5 percent alcohol by volume (ABV). This amount isn’t enough to intoxicate, so you won’t feel dizzy or nauseous after finishing a FDA-defined non-alcoholic drink. Depending on the brand, non-alcoholic drinks tend to contain fewer calories than their alcoholic counterparts. If you’re looking for alcohol-free options to add to your drink rotation, start with these seven:
- Fre Alcohol-Removed Cabernet Sauvignon (Buy from OneStopWineShop.com, $7): A glass of red is perfect to sip after a long day of work. This alcohol-removed Cabernet Sauvignon from Fre wines features dark cherry aromas, flavors of berry and spice, and a juicy finish. Pair it with a steaks and saucy pastas.
- Goodvines Sauvignon Blanc (Buy from FourGreenFieldsGifts.com, $14.99 – available only for in-store pickup or local delivery): This Sauvignon Blanc from Goodvines is summer in a bottle. Notes of green pepper and mowed grass make for a fresh aroma, and with its mild fruit, slight acidity, and sparkling finish, it’s perfect for a winter picnic.
- TÖST Rosé (Buy from TostBeverages.com $27): Looking to pour a glass of refreshing rosé? Try TÖST Rosé, a dry, sparkling option with natural ingredients including white tea, ginger, and elderberry.
- Athletic Brewing Co. Variety Pack (Buy from AthleticBrewing.com, $52.99): Think finding a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like the real thing is impossible? Think again. Athletic Brewing Co.’s variety pack includes 24 cans of their signature brews — from Upside Dawn Golden Ale to All Out Stout. The beers feature flavors such as citrus, pine, and honey.
- Fre Alcohol-Removed Sparkling Brut (Buy from OneStopWineShop.com, $8): Unlike traditional champagne, this Sparkling Brut from Fre doesn’t have to be reserved for special occasions. With crisp flavors of apple and strawberry, it pairs well with creamy seafood pasta, nutty cheeses, fried chicken, and sushi. Cheers!
- Recess Zero-Proof “Margarita” (Buy from TakeaRecess.com, $39): If you love canned cocktails, give Recess’ Zero-Proof “Margarita” a go. This sparkling mocktail is made using fresh limes and agave to replicate the sweet and tart flavors of a standard margarita. Functional ingredients like lemon balm and American ginseng aid relaxation and boost energy, respectively.
- Monday Whiskey Sample Set (Buy from DrinkMonday.co, $44): Unlock your inner home bartender with this zero alcohol Whiskey Sample Set from Monday. It contains the brand’s citrus and spiced-flavored whiskey, plus ginger beer, club soda, and ginger ale so you can whip up a trio of yummy drinks. Follow the recipe card included in the bundle for satisfactory results.
There’s More to Sip
Despite the above list, going the full 31 days might still be a challenge. A 2021 survey conducted for Cupcake LightHearted Wine asked 2,000 Americans over 21 to recall their experiences trying January and their drinking habits; and results showed the average American lasted 10 days without drinking alcohol before forgoing the practice. The reason? Respondents either forgot they were taking part in Dry January, attended happy hour with friends, or were going on a date.
Fortunately, Damp January is a growing movement that provides flexibility if you’d rather consume alcohol responsibly and moderately this month, but don’t think you can give it up entirely. Apéritifs work well for Damp January because they’re enjoyed before a meal — earning its “liquid appetizer” nickname — which is often when the socializing aspect of drinking occurs. One brand to try is Atōst (Buy from Atost.co, starting at $35), which sells 21 percent ABV apéritifs in a variety of tasting notes — from sweet and floral to warm and oaky. You can use the apéritifs to make a simple spritz or even a piña colada.
No matter what type of drink is in your glass this month, be sure to toast to a prosperous year. You deserve it.
Woman’s World aims to feature only the best products and services. We update when possible, but deals expire and prices can change. If you buy something via one of our links, we may earn a commission.
Questions? Reach us at email@example.com
This article originally appeared in our print magazine, Woman’s World.
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.