If you haven't tried using edible essential oils in your kitchen yet, you may be missing out on something truly special — not to mention super convenient. It's common knowledge that essential oils in general smell heavenly, so it makes sense that the edible ones would taste delicious as well. Much like other wonderful things, a little bit goes a long way with these food-friendly essential oils. That's what makes them so easy to work with in your homemade meals and beverages.
We all know the frustration of trying to season a dish with just the right amount of spices without going overboard. And we all recognize the disappointment that comes when we see leftover herbs go bad. But when it comes to edible essential oils, only one or two drops are needed to add flavor for most recipes, according to Dr. Lindsey Elmore, pharmacist, natural wellness expert, and Young Living brand ambassador. Since these oils are so concentrated and potent, there is plenty of flavor to go around for dozens of dishes and drinks — not just one or two. Bonus: Edible essential oils will last a whole lot longer than that sad, wilted rosemary sprig taking up space in your fridge right now.
How to Use Edible Essential Oils
According to Dr. Elmore, using just a couple of drops of edible essential oils per recipe not only cuts your meal-prep time, but it can also potentially save you money in the long run. (Just think of how much you spend each time you rush out to buy fresh herbs — it adds up!) That said, some recipes work better than others when it comes to adding these types of oils. Not sure where to start? Elmore has you covered with some of her best tips for using edible essential oils below.
- Start your day the healthy way with a few drops of JuvaCleanse Vitality ($68.75, Young Living) in your green smoothie.
- Feeling French cuisine under a moonlit night? Experiment with meat marinades using Tarragon Vitality ($27.63, Young Living).
- Cozy up by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa flavored with a hint of Nutmeg Vitality ($17.43, Young Living).
- Spice up your store-bought pasta sauce with Basil Vitality ($14.47, Young Living) for an extra zest.
- Use Peppermint Vitality ($13.49, Young Living) to indulge in our guilt-free peppermint brownie recipe for the whole family to enjoy.
- Sweeten up your day with a few drops of Grapefruit Vitality ($10.20, Young Living) in your water.
- Infuse Chinese dishes with the fresh, bold flavor of Ginger Vitality ($17.76, Young Living).
- Experience a burst of flavor with Orange Vitality ($7.89, Young Living) in your pancake or waffle batter.
- Cool off your palate with the zest of Citrus Fresh Vitality ($9.87, Young Living) in your plain yogurt.
We don't know about you, but we're taping these pointers to our fridge stat!