Scientists may have proved that cats are nicer than dogs, but this goat might be the friendliest—and most heroic—of all. While most parents would balk at the idea of letting a goat become a house pet, the Bruce family is thanking their lucky stars they did just that.
“I didn’t approve of him at first,” Nick Bruce, Abigal's father, told Inside Edition. “But he’ll be here from now on.”
That's because "Speedy" the goat saved his owners from a devastating house fire just two days after he joined the Bruce family in their Weiner, AR, home.
Abigail was sleeping in the living room when she woke up to a creature jumping on her legs and chest. It was Speedy trying to wake her as smoke and fumes enveloped the house.
“I was thinking what’s happening? And all I saw was smoke,” she told WREG TV.
The 10-year-old raced in to hear parents' room to wake them.
“She said it was smoky and she could hardly breathe,” Nick Bruce told KAIT TV. “She said she thought it was hailing outside but when I got up to check, it was the fire that was coming around the outside window.”
Seeing their garage on fire, the family members began jumping from their window to the safety of their front lawn. They were alive, and they had Speedy to thank!
When the fire department arrived minutes later and extinguished the fire, soot and ash covered the entire family home. Family friends have taken in the Bruces, and another neighbor is housing Speedy in his barn.
"I think he was special before we got him," Abigail said. We have to agree!
Investigators think the fire started after an electrical malfunction.
We're so happy to hear that no one in the family was hurt, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Bruce family as they deal with the aftermath. With Speedy's good luck, they'll be back on their feet in no time.
Watch the news clip below: