While I love a good bath bomb as much as anyone, I know you don't need to spend a ton of extra cash to upgrade your bath experience — and get glowing skin in the process. Plenty of affordable and all-natural ingredients provide the same benefits as expensive treatments, and you can enjoy them from the comfort of your own home. Maybe you’ve heard of the sweet mixture of milk and honey as a warm and soothing sleep tonic. Well, it turns out the two kitchen staples are great for keeping your skin soft and youthful, too.
Adding milk and honey to your tub can help moisturize your skin and improve its elasticity — two of the most important things when it comes to fighting the signs of aging. Honey is antibacterial and anti-fungal, so it helps to clear pores and remove unwanted dirt and bacteria. It's also loaded with antioxidants which slow the process of cellular aging and keep your skin cells looking fresh and renewed. Plus, it’s incredibly moisturizing, giving your skin that smooth, touchable texture.
Milk is another great skincare product you may not have been aware of. In fact, Cleopatra is said to have sworn by her milk baths. Because of its lactic acid, milk helps to moisturize and nourish the skin while also battling free-radicals that increase the signs of aging. On top of that, it’s loaded with other vitamins and nutrients like vitamin D, A, B6, and B12, all which boost collagen production and encourage the growth of new skin cells.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your gallon of milk and tub of honey and light a candle for the bath of a lifetime. Your skin — and your senses — will thank you.
- 2-5 cups milk (whole milk works best)
- 1 cup honey mixed with 1 cup boiling water
- 10 drops your favorite essential oil, like lavender or rosehip (optional)
- Take your milk out of the fridge and let it sit out for at least 30 minutes before adding to the bath so that it doesn’t make your bath cold.
- Combine honey and boiling water with a whisk in a small bowl. Allow honey to melt fully.
- Run your bath with warm water, then add your honey mixture along with your milk and essential oils (if desired) to the bath.
- Relax and enjoy for at least 20 minutes. Repeat at least once a week for best results.